Crabs in community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jantaris

Aquarium Advice Freak
Kiddo wants to put a freshwater crab in a community tank. My sense is it's not going to work, and I told her so, but I thought I'd just see if anyone has had success with a crab in a community tank. Tank is 20high and currently houses a betta sorority of 3, 2 Bolivians, 5 platies, 1 oto, and a dwarf frog. The dwarf frog I am certain would be well and done in no time with a crab in the tank. I'd also be concerned about the oto, and our bettas that love to snooze and relax near the bottom. All's peaceful in there right now. So, my head is telling me no way a crab is going in there, but my heart is saying just check into this one more time for kiddo. I also know that we're pretty much max stocked right now so the likelihood of us doing this is really slim but, again, just thought I'd check. Maybe some of you have some suggestions for housing a crab for us to consider for a later time. Is. Species only tank the way to go with crabs?

I have tried them in a community tank and it worked perfectly until it died but unfortunately they will need a place out of water. However, considering your position with the frog, I think you should probably leave getting the crab.

Sorry. :(

I have tried them in a community tank and it worked perfectly until it died but unfortunately they will need a place out of water. However, considering your position with the frog, I think you should probably leave getting the crab.

Sorry. :(

Ahhh... Okay, so they would need some type of place to hang out outside of the water, similar to a turtle. So, I guess, lower water levels and some type of platform for them to gather on. Okay, yeah, that won't work with our current setup. Kiddo also wants a species only dwarf puffer tank so I guess she'd better figure out what she wants more, then. Thanks.

What kind of crab exactly are we talking about?

Good question. We were at the store today and kiddo called me over to look but my answer was no and I didn't even look at the tag. For some reason I think red crabs? I really have no idea but that is what seems to be coming to me, if that makes sense. We'll be out that way again tomorrow so I'll check in.

Good question. We were at the store today and kiddo called me over to look but my answer was no and I didn't even look at the tag. For some reason I think red crabs? I really have no idea but that is what seems to be coming to me, if that makes sense. We'll be out that way again tomorrow so I'll check in.

I should add that they looked quite sizeable to me. They weren't little guys from what I saw.

Just keep in mind that most crabs commonly found in pet stores (fiddler, red-clawed, etc) belong in habitats that are part terrestrial and part brackish water. They will not survive in a purely freshwater tank that has no land for them to crawl on. Thai micro crabs are freshwater and completely aquatic but they are not easily found and do best in heavily planted tanks with nano fish or shrimp.

They make a bubble thing that you put at the bottom of your tank. The crabs can crawl in it and get fresh air and you can put food in it. I saw it on a thread here. I would recommend getting a vampire crab. Those things look so cool!

http://www.crabhomes.com/

Thanks everyone. Yes, it was the red claw crabs we saw. You have given us lots to think about. If we do decide to get a crab, will let you know...

Back
Top Bottom