Crack in my 2 week old acrylic tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just noticed a new small crack in my Eclipse 6g right smack in the center of the bow front. The tank is only 2 weeks old. It's small crack about 3 or 4 mm long, but it seems to be inside the acrylic -- I can't feel it on either side. Are acrylic cracks prone to spreading like glass? It's at a high pressure point in the bow front. For such a young tank this doesn't seem right to me.

I wouldn't want to bother getting another Eclipse...I shortly realized after I bought it that its lighting is terrible for anything besides stuff like java fern, anubias, and moss (I even had trouble growing anacharis...the back of the tank gets almost no light). If I can take this tank back I'm thinking of upgrading to a JBJ 12g Nanocube -- something I should have gotten in the first place.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ium&ref=3554&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x006&ctt=64

It comes with 50/50 lighting but I can just get a replacement bulb or maybe check if F&S can do that for me.

Any comments? Should I just stick with the Eclipse? TBH, this now seems like a great excuse to upgrade. :p

If you have only had it for 2 weeks and you have a crack, I can't think of any reason they wouldn't take it back. In fact, I would demand it. Definetly don't keep the cracked one.

Now if you exchange it for the same tank or a different one is up to you. :p

Even if you don't want to set it up, you might as well get the new tank... you can use it as a quarantine or even sell it.

Marineland is terrific about backing up their eclipses.. I got a new tank once, and a new filter mechanism another time!

a lot of people on the reef boards hate those nanocubes.. they are retrofitting them like mad, and many of them are reporting cracks, due to the way they are boxed and stored.

These guys have some interesting alternatives tho.. check them out.
http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/

Back
Top Bottom