Cracked 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willsFishTank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I chipped my 10 gallon with a mug and I am wondering if I should replace the tank or leave it.

Here's a picture of the chip

image-1982015583.jpg

image-1982015583.jpg

Attachments

• image-555404261.jpg
    image-555404261.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 77
I chipped my 10 gallon with a mug and I am wondering if I should replace the tank or leave it.

Here's a picture of the chip

View attachment 154738

View attachment 154738
Hi, this is a tricky one and most people tend to dodge these threads with good reason!!. I'll give it a go!!. To me it doesn't look that bad. I would do some research online. I know there is a product, sorry i don't know the name, or if it is even commercially available but i have seen ads on tv for repairing chips on car-windscreens. It looks like a liquid that then hardens and is virtually invisable...
Because it's only a 10g, the pressure would not be as great as a larger tank. It's still something you should do a lot of research on though, try youtube, there might be some helpful video's on there. If you are really worried about it, it might be best to replace it.
Sorry if i just confused you more but it is a tricky one to answer. I hope others will chip in(pardon the pun) and give their opinions/advice.... Ian

Hi, this is a tricky one and most people tend to dodge these threads with good reason!!. I'll give it a go!!. To me it doesn't look that bad. I would do some research online. I know there is a product, sorry i don't know the name, or if it is even commercially available but i have seen ads on tv for repairing chips on car-windscreens. It looks like a liquid that then hardens and is virtually invisable...
Because it's only a 10g, the pressure would not be as great as a larger tank. It's still something you should do a lot of research on though, try youtube, there might be some helpful video's on there. If you are really worried about it, it might be best to replace it.
Sorry if i just confused you more but it is a tricky one to answer. I hope others will chip in(pardon the pun) and give their opinions/advice.... Ian

Good ideas. But I think it would be cheaper to buy a new tank. It's ten gallons after all.

I just filled the chip with aquarium silicone so i think that will hold it

It should really cause much of an issue in such a small tank, but really IMO I would leave it as is for now and next time petco has their $1/g sale get another tank to replace it. $10 is money well spent if it puts your mind at ease

It should really cause much of an issue in such a small tank, but really IMO I would leave it as is for now and next time petco has their $1/g sale get another tank to replace it. $10 is money well spent if it puts your mind at ease
This ▲▲▲▲

10-gallon tanks are so cheap it's not worth keeping one in that state. Take this opportunity to do something different with the tank, if it's something that's been on your mind.

David

If the water isnt leaking theres probably nothing to worry about. If it makes you feel better get silicon adhesive and fill in that edge.

I have not had luck using silicone on the exterior side of the tank. The only time I've had success with silicone is when resealing the entire tank from within. That doesn't mean it won't work; it just hasn't worked for me.

Just my .02.

David

The tank hasn't leaked yet and the silicone is almost dry so I think the tank will be ok. And I'm going to be upgrading to a 20 gallon with in a couple months so I think the tank will hold

Back
Top Bottom