Cracked glass....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, now I haven't seen it in person yet, but I've been told that the 2 foot cube tank I'm supposed to be getting has been attatcked by a wardrobe and now has a crack in it on one of the corners... :(

So, it's being filled up to see if it leaks and whether it can be salvaged or not, but it's not looking good for me... :(

You'd be OK if the crack is small & near the TOP. Otherwise, replacing a pane of glass isn't TOO difficult .... <see instruction at DIY section.>

jsoong said:
You'd be OK if the crack is small & near the TOP. Otherwise, replacing a pane of glass isn't TOO difficult .... <see instruction at DIY section.>

I've been told it's near the top, but it could be one of those "travelling" cracks which get longer depending on the pressure placed on the glass....

I will consider replacing the pane though as that would probably be safer... :)

Just so you know, it's not me working on the tank, it's the current owner of it who's seeing if it's ok...

Anyway, there's a glass place near me so I could pop in there to see if they can get or cut a sheet to replace the damaged one... :)

Even if it doesn't leak now, it'd be impossible to guess how long that will last. IMO, it isn't worth the risk.

Voodoo Chilli said:
Even if it doesn't leak now, it'd be impossible to guess how long that will last. IMO, it isn't worth the risk.

Well, if it bursts, it won't be in my livingroom... :mrgreen:

Anyway, I've been looking at that garf.org site, gawd, that is sooooooooo tempting to build a tank, but anyway it's provided a good cut list for replacing the damaged pane, all I'd need is the silicone and to borrow some sashclamps.... :mrgreen:

Garf is a great site/group in general. I love what they're doing on the saltwater scene (especially considering they're here in Idaho...although they're on the wrong end of the state). When I was doing saltwater, before I decided yearly moves were way too much stress to keep the tank, I ordered corals and snails/crabs from them...got a fantastic deal.

I'd agree, replace the pane if you go with the tank. At least it's a cube, so the cost for glass won't be nearly as bad as if you cracked one of the long sides of a normal tank.

I guess not! :roll: I know your tank was 2' square. Those tanks are called nanocube by their brand name but hey make a larger one, at least 26 gallons that I know of. I have never seen a conventional glass tank that is 2' square. Who makes it?

Sicklid said:
I guess not! :roll: I know your tank was 2' square. Those tanks are called nanocube by their brand name but hey make a larger one, at least 26 gallons that I know of. I have never seen a conventional glass tank that is 2' square. Who makes it?

I don't know who made it, it could be a custom build, I haven't seen it in person yet... :(

And what are you doin' measuring stuff in feet? Are you supposed to be using the metric system???

Sicklid said:
And what are you doin' measuring stuff in feet? Are you supposed to be using the metric system???

Fishtanks are measured in feet here still, and yes, we do use the metric system, but most of the time we use both!!! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom