Craigslist Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a very good skill to be able to barter successfully. Any time I have tag sales and have 10 cent items for the kids, I tell them to ask me if I'll take a nickel for it...... teach 'em young!

Good luck getting the tank!

Thanks! Hopefully soon you'll see a thread called 'Bettababe's 55 Gallon Goldfish Build'! Lol ;)

Yup, that's what I was thinking! The heater could be used for something else, maybe. I have a ten gallon that the heater doesn't work very well and needs replaced before I recycle it. This heater probably would not fit though... I'm also planning on having another filter. Would three black moors be comfy in here, or just two?
Three would be good, you could do four if you keep up on wcs. I only keep 3 in my 55g because they grow into monsters! :)

That is an awesome deal! I am jealous... My mom won't let me get anything bigger than 36 gallon.

Awesome! What filter is it coming with? Looks like Marineland Penguins or Emporers. Keep in mind that bio-wheels tend to be nitrate farms... LOl

maxwellag said:
Awesome! What filter is it coming with? Looks like Marineland Penguins or Emporers. Keep in mind that bio-wheels tend to be nitrate farms... LOl

...I forgot to ask. I'll just have to see. Worst case scenario I just get new filters. It's still a good deal! :)

Bettababe1011 said:
Yup, that's what I was thinking! The heater could be used for something else, maybe. I have a ten gallon that the heater doesn't work very well and needs replaced before I recycle it. This heater probably would not fit though... I'm also planning on having another filter. Would three black moors be comfy in here, or just two?

Keep the heater IMO. In the winter I keep my Fancy Goldfish at 72-74. Also if you want HUGE goldfish you keep them warmer feed less quantity food but more frequently.

Are you basing this on any experience with the filters or stuff that you read in the SW forums? For FW tanks they are good filters. I prefer some other brands for most of my setups, but the Emperors especially are built like tanks and last forever, and the Penguins aren't bad either. I've used them for years, and to say that they will cause nitrate issues in a FW tank is incorrect IMO. Any filter that is poorly maintained can contribute to high nitrate levels, it is nothing specific to Bio Wheels.

severum mama said:
Are you basing this on any experience with the filters or stuff that you read in the SW forums? For FW tanks they are good filters. I prefer some other brands for most of my setups, but the Emperors especially are built like tanks and last forever, and the Penguins aren't bad either. I've used them for years, and to say that they will cause nitrate issues in a FW tank is incorrect IMO. Any filter that is poorly maintained can contribute to high nitrate levels, it is nothing specific to Bio Wheels.

I was reading a bunch of reviews and a lot of them said that they caused nitrate build up. I thought it was fresh, but it could've been salt water that they were talking about.

Um...looking at the picture, it appears to me that the front corners of the tank are not supported by the stand. Is it a stand designed for a rectangular 55 gallon tank, or is it for some other size/shape? Not having the corners supported is NOT a good idea. You might be able to make it work by getting a piece of 1/2 inch wood cut to fit under the entire tank, and painting or sealing it, and then putting it under the tank and on top of the stand. Not ideal, but it would be better than having the corners completely unsupported.

glassbird said:
Um...looking at the picture, it appears to me that the front corners of the tank are not supported by the stand. Is it a stand designed for a rectangular 55 gallon tank, or is it for some other size/shape? Not having the corners supported is NOT a good idea. You might be able to make it work by getting a piece of 1/2 inch wood cut to fit under the entire tank, and painting or sealing it, and then putting it under the tank and on top of the stand. Not ideal, but it would be better than having the corners completely unsupported.

It's a standard Walmart 55 gallon stand. I have the same thing and have no problems.

Seems like a good deal to me I basically got the same exact deal about 8 months ago but mine even included the fish! :)

maxwellag said:

I have an emperor and a penguin both with bio- wheels and I've never noticed any nitrate problems and I have one that I've had for 5 years or so and still runs like it did, when it did when I first got it. :)

Back
Top Bottom