Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Craigslist Tank Help..!

So I found this tank locally for $45 it's a bow front 55g tank and it has the bottom trim missing a piece is it still stable? How can I check it? Can I go rimless? I need help guys I wanna snatch this up before anyone else does!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3870391008.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	182309   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2374078434.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	182310  

__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Musicfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 143
I'm no tank expert but I would think it's fine. As far as I know the trim is just for look so that you don't see the seems of the glass. Makes it look finished I guess really. I would think you can go without it or even put your own on if you wanted to. If you want ask the person you are buying it from to fill it up with water so you can see it hold water and all that fun stuff.
__________________

__________________
75G and 10G
Musicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
I would pass on it unless you want to buy or make another brace for it. Braces provide structural support. 55g bowfronts usually have a center brace as well from what I've seen. Don't see that in the pics.
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
good advice guys, what if he knows nothing about tanks and its really a 37g bow front..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
At 37g it probably doesn't have a center brace. You will still need to repair the bottom brace. You can create a new one using aluminum railing. Pretty cheap fix at your local hardware shop. I did the same thing for my 125g using the railing and some rivets. Maybe you can use this info to haggle on the price?
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
At 37g it probably doesn't have a center brace. You will still need to repair the bottom brace. You can create a new one using aluminum railing. Pretty cheap fix at your local hardware shop. I did the same thing for my 125g using the railing and some rivets. Maybe you can use this info to haggle on the price?
railing and rivets..? onto glass..? how do i conform to the bow..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
wow Aqueon rocks! i called them and the bottom trim is anywhere from $12-$36 in a one piece for either a 36g bow front or 46g bow front the next one up is a 72g bow and its not that long in the pic, i hope its the $12 guys wish me luck, im waiting on the seller to txt me the dimensions!
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
wow Aqueon rocks! i called them and the bottom trim is anywhere from $12-$36 in a one piece for either a 36g bow front or 46g bow front the next one up is a 72g bow and its not that long in the pic, i hope its the $12 guys wish me luck, im waiting on the seller to txt me the dimensions!
Awesome! Go with the buy.
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Awesome! Go with the buy.
i talked him down to $30 for the tank, and aqueon said its the $36 trim in black, so is $70 worth it for a 46g bow front? it comes as shown no hood, no stand..
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Whoops meant to say GL as in good luck with the buy. At $70 total it's up to you. paying less than $1/g is a decent snag. It's really up to you if you want to pay more for the repair than the tank itself.
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
Whoops meant to say GL as in good luck with the buy. At $70 total it's up to you. paying less than $1/g is a decent snag. It's really up to you if you want to pay more for the repair than the tank itself.
So what happened to the rivets thing..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
You can make your own brace using aluminum "L" railing. You can then use rivets to hold the brace together at the corners. However in this case, since this it's a bow front and you are able to get a brace from aqueon, I'd just spend the few extra bucks buying from aqueon vs. making your own.
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
You can make your own brace using aluminum "L" railing. You can then use rivets to hold the brace together at the corners. However in this case, since this it's a bow front and you are able to get a brace from aqueon, I'd just spend the few extra bucks buying from aqueon vs. making your own.
True, that and idk how I would bend angle iron for the bow lol
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
AquaRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

True, that and idk how I would bend angle iron for the bow lol
It's aluminum. Easy to bend with your hands or the concrete floor and your foot .

Think you'll get it?
__________________
225G Reef Upgrade
AquaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post

It's aluminum. Easy to bend with your hands or the concrete floor and your foot .

Think you'll get it?
I'll still thinking, because I saw this today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3755303179.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	182456   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1282334033.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	182457  

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Kimlafeiet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 680
If it were me, Id go with the 65. Tank looks to be in better condition, with a stand. Factor in the new frame for the other one and something to put it on, and you are probably more than 100 bucks, for 20 gallons less.
__________________
What did the fish say when he swam into a wall? "Dam!"
Kimlafeiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
adammorrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 445
Yah with fish tanks, the bigger the better and they are also easier, so I'd so get the 65 if you can. Also, with the bowfront, I have a 36 gallon bow front and it has a center brace on it.
__________________
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
adammorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammorrill View Post
Yah with fish tanks, the bigger the better and they are also easier, so I'd so get the 65 if you can. Also, with the bowfront, I have a 36 gallon bow front and it has a center brace on it.
****, well I'm talking to the guy on the price for the 65g is $100 good for that combo or should I pay less..?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
adammorrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 445
So fir 100$ you would be getting the tank and the stand? If you get both then yes I would go fir it, but if it is just the tank, I would pass and wait fir a better deal
__________________
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
adammorrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammorrill View Post
So fir 100$ you would be getting the tank and the stand? If you get both then yes I would go fir it, but if it is just the tank, I would pass and wait fir a better deal
no its the tank and stand for $100, i can get an aquatic life led bar, stay hood less, and get an emperor 400 filter for it and some sand and river rock and be done with a nice tank for my bedroom, what do you guys think..?
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.