Craigslist Tank Help..!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I found this tank locally for $45 it's a bow front 55g tank and it has the bottom trim missing a piece is it still stable? How can I check it? Can I go rimless? I need help guys I wanna snatch this up before anyone else does!

Attachments

• image-3870391008.jpg
    image-3870391008.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 112
  • image-2374078434.jpg
    image-2374078434.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 111
I'm no tank expert but I would think it's fine. As far as I know the trim is just for look so that you don't see the seems of the glass. Makes it look finished I guess really. I would think you can go without it or even put your own on if you wanted to. If you want ask the person you are buying it from to fill it up with water so you can see it hold water and all that fun stuff.

I would pass on it unless you want to buy or make another brace for it. Braces provide structural support. 55g bowfronts usually have a center brace as well from what I've seen. Don't see that in the pics.

good advice guys, what if he knows nothing about tanks and its really a 37g bow front..?

At 37g it probably doesn't have a center brace. You will still need to repair the bottom brace. You can create a new one using aluminum railing. Pretty cheap fix at your local hardware shop. I did the same thing for my 125g using the railing and some rivets. Maybe you can use this info to haggle on the price?

At 37g it probably doesn't have a center brace. You will still need to repair the bottom brace. You can create a new one using aluminum railing. Pretty cheap fix at your local hardware shop. I did the same thing for my 125g using the railing and some rivets. Maybe you can use this info to haggle on the price?

railing and rivets..? onto glass..? how do i conform to the bow..?

wow Aqueon rocks! i called them and the bottom trim is anywhere from $12-$36 in a one piece for either a 36g bow front or 46g bow front the next one up is a 72g bow and its not that long in the pic, i hope its the $12 guys wish me luck, im waiting on the seller to txt me the dimensions!

wow Aqueon rocks! i called them and the bottom trim is anywhere from $12-$36 in a one piece for either a 36g bow front or 46g bow front the next one up is a 72g bow and its not that long in the pic, i hope its the $12 guys wish me luck, im waiting on the seller to txt me the dimensions!

Awesome! Go with the buy.

Whoops meant to say GL as in good luck with the buy. At $70 total it's up to you. paying less than $1/g is a decent snag. It's really up to you if you want to pay more for the repair than the tank itself.

Whoops meant to say GL as in good luck with the buy. At $70 total it's up to you. paying less than $1/g is a decent snag. It's really up to you if you want to pay more for the repair than the tank itself.

So what happened to the rivets thing..?

You can make your own brace using aluminum "L" railing. You can then use rivets to hold the brace together at the corners. However in this case, since this it's a bow front and you are able to get a brace from aqueon, I'd just spend the few extra bucks buying from aqueon vs. making your own.

You can make your own brace using aluminum "L" railing. You can then use rivets to hold the brace together at the corners. However in this case, since this it's a bow front and you are able to get a brace from aqueon, I'd just spend the few extra bucks buying from aqueon vs. making your own.

True, that and idk how I would bend angle iron for the bow lol

It's aluminum. Easy to bend with your hands or the concrete floor and your foot ;).

Think you'll get it?

I'll still thinking, because I saw this today!

Attachments

• image-3755303179.jpg
    image-3755303179.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1282334033.jpg
    image-1282334033.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 64
If it were me, Id go with the 65. Tank looks to be in better condition, with a stand. Factor in the new frame for the other one and something to put it on, and you are probably more than 100 bucks, for 20 gallons less.

Yah with fish tanks, the bigger the better and they are also easier, so I'd so get the 65 if you can. Also, with the bowfront, I have a 36 gallon bow front and it has a center brace on it.

Yah with fish tanks, the bigger the better and they are also easier, so I'd so get the 65 if you can. Also, with the bowfront, I have a 36 gallon bow front and it has a center brace on it.

****, well I'm talking to the guy on the price for the 65g is $100 good for that combo or should I pay less..?

So fir 100$ you would be getting the tank and the stand? If you get both then yes I would go fir it, but if it is just the tank, I would pass and wait fir a better deal

So fir 100$ you would be getting the tank and the stand? If you get both then yes I would go fir it, but if it is just the tank, I would pass and wait fir a better deal

no its the tank and stand for $100, i can get an aquatic life led bar, stay hood less, and get an emperor 400 filter for it and some sand and river rock and be done with a nice tank for my bedroom, what do you guys think..?

Back
Top Bottom