Crashed Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackleroy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, basic question here, but I feel like I'm in the weeds with this thing and I'm currently too stupid to find my way back out.

I crashed my cycle back in June and I still haven't been able to get it back. I know there's some level of bacteria colony because I've been getting low amounts of nitrate the entire time and it's not coming from my tap. It's just not enough to keep up with the ammonia.

I've been letting the ammonia sit between .5 and 1ppm and doing a water change when it spikes at 2ppm, but nothing is improving at all. I've obviously been dosing with Prime and I added a bottle of Frtiz a couple of weeks ago.

My water spiked at 2ppm today and my instinct is to do a water change, but have I been keeping it too low for the cycle to finish? Should I let it sit at 2ppm instead? I really don't want to lose any fish, but something has to give at some point. My pH is 7.0-7.5 and I just did a double dose of Prime. Is that safe enough?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it.

55 gallon with 10 harlequins, 10 scissortails, a betta, and a pleco. I'm running a c360 filter and my heater is preset to 78°.

How many times a day do you feed your fish? I suggest not to overdose with the prime.

Sorry for all of the questions just trying to help. Did you check the expiration date on the bacteria you added to the aquarium? Try feeding a little less or skip a day and test your water weekly hopefully the population of bacteria will increase. i also suggest rinsing test vials with deionized water or distilled water if it is the API test kit. Sometimes regent will not be removed with a simple rinse causing you to get a false reading.

It's no problem, thanks for trying to help. The bacteria was alive and not expired when I put it in. I even smelled it to make sure. I'm testing every day and I can track the ammonia as it goes up before and down after a water change, so it's not a false reading, unfortunately. I just don't understand what could possibly be keeping the bacteria from repopulating after so long.

No, and I haven't touched the filter since the crash. I think the crash came from accidentally leaving it on during a water change and the chlorine getting into it. I always turn it off and let the water sit with prime for a half hour before I turn it back on now.

Ok do partial wc's to keep down the ammonia and hopefully all parameters stabilize. If things don't change I personally would add more bio to the filter or another filter.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing for four months. It's what made me think I was actually keeping the ammonia too low. The c360 is a canister that's supposed to be good for up to 100 gallons. There's a big sponge plus plastic and ceramic biological media. I'm not sure what else I could add to it.

I just read that having chemical media before biological media can deprive the bacteria of food. My filter has it first in the manual. Does anyone know if it matters?

If it is activated charcoal that got covered with debris over time from lack of maintaining the canister filter then yes it could cause problems. Tbh I personally never use carbon in any of my aquarium filters but that is a personal choice.

Leaving water changes until you hit 2ppm ammonia is way too high. While leaving it till you get to this level will speed up your cycle, it is incredibly bad for your fish. The common practice for managing a fish in cycle is to do 25% water change when your ammonia + nitrite combined totals 0.5ppm. This might lengthen your cycle, but will be healthier for your fish.

With regards to why your cycle isnt progressing. Ive never heard of chemical media killing off the bacteria, but it is usual to put it last. Also bottled bacteria is very hit and miss. It needs to be stored and transported etc in temperature controlled conditions or if dies off and is useless. Perhaps try a different brand or from a different store. Are you doing any filter maintenance? Make sure when you do, rinse with tank water or decorinated water.

People rely too much in the "bacteria in a bottle" and I wont even tell you what I think of it. As of now since you have fish in the tank, do not over feed, do not change the filter and do some small frequent water changes. Your filter will eventually cycle but this is where patience comes in. I have cycled tanks using fish and this method, takes about 5 to 6 weeks. Good luck!

The best way to get your cycle moving is media from an established filter added into your filter. Do you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some?

Also, i dont think anyone is relying on bottled bacteria, but using it is better than nothing. As OP says, its been 4 months. I have had mixed results from using these products, but in some cases it has certainly sped up a cycle. I have certainly seen cycles going nowhere to sudden improvement when added. Maybe i just see what i want to see, but i would rather be proactive.
It's been 4 months.

I don't, unfortunately, and I stopped doing filter maintenance when the cycle crashed. I also turn it off when I do a water change and wait a good 30 minutes with prime in the aquarium before I turn it back on.

Does the fact that I'm actually getting nitrates mean anything? I feel like I have to be thinking in the wrong direction somewhere. I have a colony that's still converting, so I dont see why I'd have to do a whole new cycle or why it should be taking so long for it to repopulate.

What do you call filter maintenance? When cycling, the filter should be left untouched and even long after cycled, the filter should not be touched much, the trick is to not overfeed. Also, why shut the filter off when changing water? Shutting off the filter for 30 minutes is not a big deal but why? Prime is a conditioner added to the water that will be going back in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom