Crawdads in My tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blkhrt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what benifits crawdads might have in a fresh water tank filled with bass and catfish. I have been looking around and found a few articles saying they will help water quaility, but just wondering if anyone else has had any exp. with this.

Quite simply if you have a tank stocked with bass and catfish, the crayfish will be food for the fishes more than likely. Crayfish or crawdads are opportunistic herbivoures, who will scavange as well, so yes they will help with left over or residual food in the tank. But you'll be amazed at how a bass or catfish can get down even a large crayfish, and then spits out the claws when its done.

I may have to try and find out, I understand the food thing and would not mind them being eaten.

50k? Do you have any rock work in the tank? If you provide some rockwork for them to hid in, you will increase their likelyhood of survival. Otherwise they will probably disappear as fast as you add them to the tank.

Yes I have large rock in the aquarium, just looking to see what everyones take is. I work in a large fresh water aquarium and am looking to change some things.

The crawfish would just be food. But it is fun to see them get eaten. Just keep in mind the mess that may come from such a large meal. I feed my blue cats crayfish sometimes and they eat them whole. In a large pond so not sure of "aftermath".

Yes I have large rock in the aquarium, just looking to see what everyones take is. I work in a large fresh water aquarium and am looking to change some things.

Not sure that only a single rock will provide sufficient cover, I usually try and include a pile so there are caves or hiddy holes for them. I have kept crayfish with sunfish, bass and black bullheads in the past; if they are big enough, fast enough and smart enough they will survive - provided they have somewhere to hide.

I get in and clean once a week, so its part of my job. I am just looking to try and change a few things.

Not sure that only a single rock will provide sufficient cover, I usually try and include a pile so there are caves or hiddy holes for them. I have kept crayfish with sunfish, bass and black bullheads in the past; if they are big enough, fast enough and smart enough they will survive - provided they have somewhere to hide.

The rock is stacked about 10 inches high, plus I have logs and another cover they could hide in. I really cant make any changes without approval from my game and fish contact.

The rock is stacked about 10 inches high, plus I have logs and another cover they could hide in. I really cant make any changes without approval from my game and fish contact.

Sounds like they might have sufficient cover. All you can do is try it and see what happens. I know that channels get quite large, so the likelyhood of being able to keep them long term is not high, but is worth a shot. It certainly adds another level of interest to the tank. My personal opinion is the more natural you can make an aquarium, the more interesting it becomes. FYI, I would love to see some pictures of the tank.

Ill go try and take some, Im sure once I take some you will now where I work. stand by.

2010-10-20_08-54-23_896.jpg

2010-10-20_08-53-20_980.jpg

2010-10-20_08-53-11_385.jpg

2010-10-16_11-49-39_112.jpg

Very cool! Afraid I'm not familiar with the aquarium, but I'd love to know so I can stop and see the tank. Looks like perhaps a large display like a reception area in a Game and Fish office or maybe a Caebelas store?

Looks like you've got plenty of hiding spots - although those fish look pretty good sized. Your biggest issue maybe keeping them alive long enough to find a hole, once you drop them into the tank. Keep in mind that crayfish are herbivorous so you'll need to feed them something besides fish food if you want to keep them alive long term.

It is cabelas, I feed the bass salmon, shirp, talapia, and some other food so they eat well. The crawdads I would dive in and release them, I have live feedings on Saturdays where they eat live fish, but they are spoiled.

It is cabelas, I feed the bass salmon, shirp, talapia, and some other food so they eat well. The crawdads I would dive in and release them, I have live feedings on Saturdays where they eat live fish, but they are spoiled.

Very cool! Our Cabelas (actually in Billings, Mont.) has a nice trout display, but nothing like what you're working with there. Next time I get down that way, I'll have to stop in and see your tank.

Ok just let me know, Ill give you a tour of the place. I have a trout display, its about 10k gallons and has local trout.

Back
Top Bottom