Cray fish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyetexa2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i have a question i have a 10 gallon tank and i was wondering can i keep a crayfish in the aquarium with the rest of the fish . at the moment i only have 2 fish a goldfish which im gonna get rid of and a betta which i will take out and put back in its old containers. what im trying to say is would the crayfish kill the fish: )

Yes, the crayfish will do its best to catch anything living in the tank.wait till you move the betta and golfish, THEN get the crayfish 8)

if you want to keep crayfish...it MUST be a Species ONLY tank !!

and the "Minimum" you can keep is either 1
or more than 3 !!!

Never Keep 2 - they will Kill and fight with each other !!!
(i've tried - even in a 10 gallon - they killed and stressed each other to death)

Bubble_B0y said:
if you want to keep crayfish...it MUST be a Species ONLY tank !!

and the "Minimum" you can keep is either 1
or more than 3 !!!

Never Keep 2 - they will Kill and fight with each other !!!
(i've tried - even in a 10 gallon - they killed and stressed each other to death)

At least this guy isn't asking about cutting the claws off or wiring them shut.

That kinda reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Lisa conducts a test on Bart to see if her hampster is smarter than him, and she puts a pellet out with an electrical charge and a muffin for Bart with an electrical charge as well. The hampster goes for it once, and leaves it alone, but Bart keeps going for it...

I wanted to say that in that thread about cutting the claws off but someone locked it.

Elmware said:
At least this guy isn't asking about cutting the claws off or wiring them shut.

That kinda reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Lisa conducts a test on Bart to see if her hampster is smarter than him, and she puts a pellet out with an electrical charge and a muffin for Bart with an electrical charge as well. The hampster goes for it once, and leaves it alone, but Bart keeps going for it...

I wanted to say that in that thread about cutting the claws off but someone locked it.

ah yes, that was a classic episode :) :lol:

it was locked for a really good purpose

back to this thread :D

crayfish are really cool IMO but you can only have them in the tank and with just 1 or 3 or more like Bubble Boy said

Me and my father go seining in the Kansas river for crawdads alot and we also call them crayfish. Is there a difference? They look exactly alike. Also, when I went fishing we had some store bought crawdads leftover. I had an empty ten gallon lying around and I just filled it with water and stuck them in. They survived with no filter for over a month, and then I let them go. 8O They are some hardy guys.........they also cost $2.00 a dozen at the bait shop, or about 500 for free from seining. This gives me an idea........!!!!

Also, I do not see anything wrong with taking their claws off, we do it all of the time with the ones we go fishing with, and they get along just fine when we save them. Go figure.

At my LFS there's a tank with a blue crayfish in it, and next to it a tank with a blue australian lobster. The lobster has much smaller claws, but I'm guessing it still wouldn't be smart to put it in with fish...?

no, there all sneaky ninjas :ninja: :ninja: and they will get ahold of them! so b carefull mabe u can with a big tank with sumthing like oscarsbut they might eat dem! remember da ninja! :ninja:

mr86mister said:
it was locked for a really good purpose

back to this thread :D

crayfish are really cool IMO but you can only have them in the tank and with just 1 or 3 or more like Bubble Boy said

thus, you need a 10 gallon MINIMUM for 3 crayfish

my lfs has a blue cray in the front 90gal bowfront. It is fully stocked with fish, and he has had no issues with the cray. He does however put his pregnant guppies in there to keep the cray happy.

Titus said:
my lfs has a blue cray in the front 90gal bowfront. It is fully stocked with fish, and he has had no issues with the cray.

that's because the crayfish is satisfied
a happy crayfish (that gets its share of food), won't go looking to kill other fish if its already eaten and full

Back
Top Bottom