Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HN1 said:
For someone new to this site you really come off rude and juvenile. Add to that terrible advice and that equals the ignore list. Thanks for making it so easy.

Agreed! Bad, bad advice in my opinion...

Wrong! My cray doesn't eat any of my fish!
^ means he ate 7 guppies but now it's been a few months!? Hmm...I would have phrased that differently.

i wouldnt even try a dwarf cray,neons are pretty small...
Good morning Alex :) I keep CPO's with much smaller fish like CPD's, ember tetras, endlers, and even chili rasbora and, I've had long term success with it. I've never lost a fish to one or seen any behavior to suggest they might go for one. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's definitely not the norm like it is for larger crays like "electric blue".

No! Earlier I said I have had all them fish in with it for six months as I got my pleco 6 months ago! Can you read okay??? Maybe enlarge your text. Have you got a crayfish because you obviously do not know anything about them! My cray sits in it's cave with fish all round it even in between it's pincers and still nothing! Is that not a big enough opportunity???!!!

Is this seriously how you talk to people???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Trust me I know my cray he will not eat anymore!

Oh OK, you're the cray whisperer, I get it.

Neons actually get larger than CPO or shufeldtii. Not a problem there. My only issue with adding a dwarf cray would be that with all the fish in there, you may not see much of it and you may find it difficult to feed. Do you have any experience with either species?
I think that's a risk as well but, I have had atleast some short term success with it. I did keep a pair of CPO's in a larger community setting with fish such as a rainbow shark, julii cories, dwarf gourami, female betta, danios, and neons. I got very lucky because all of those larger fish, except for one female betta which I had to switch out for a different one, completely left the crays alone. The female cray did hide more of course, but the male could regularly be seen out and about. When I dropped sinking pellets or wafers in, he would be right there to grab one before anyone else even knew they were there! I would, however, reach in and drop a pellet in the cave the female liked to hide in if I didn't see her around, figuring she was in hiding, most likely berried. I only kept them in there for about 8 months or so, but in that time I only found 1 offspring, so don't count on babies if keeping them with larger fish. :)

C'MON GUYS!! cant we all just get along? LOL i know some of the site vets can be harsh w/ their advice (to put it nicely) but cant we all just help eachother pleasantly??

on a related note:
i have an electric blue in my 55gal african tank.. hes about 4 inches & my smallest affy is about 2inches+.. they have been together for about 6mos but i do know that means diddle lol

are africans better at holding their own / evading the crays than community fish? & should i just rehome him for safe measure or could they all coexist?

i've seen plenty of african tanks w/ them but i'm still nervous lol

my bad if i shoulda started my own thread -_-

C'MON GUYS!! cant we all just get along? LOL i know some of the site vets can be harsh w/ their advice (to put it nicely) but cant we all just help eachother pleasantly??

on a related note:
i have an electric blue in my 55gal african tank.. hes about 4 inches & my smallest affy is about 2inches+.. they have been together for about 6mos but i do know that means diddle lol

are africans better at holding their own / evading the crays than community fish? & should i just rehome him for safe measure or could they all coexist?

i've seen plenty of african tanks w/ them but i'm still nervous lol

my bad if i shoulda started my own thread -_-
I'm being harsh, to put it nicely? Or who? Huh. That guy was completely out of line and rude to someone who was not being harsh and was trying to help pleasantly, IMO.

I do think they are better at holding their own once they get large, but often the cray becomes the one in danger in that scenario. Personally, I wouldn't keep them with fish at all. Not to mention, if it's a planted tank, your cray will make a big mess of it on a regular basis. ;)

Some of us don't begin harshly, but are slowly driven to it when new members ask for advice and then refuse good advice in favor of that of other newer members with little to no experience simply because it more closely fits with what the poster wants to hear.

Joey is a great example of a new member with little experience giving out bad advice and he crossed the line with the totally rude comments made towards a Moderator with 1000x his experience with fish and on this site. Bad advice should be called out so that everyone has the opportunity to learn and improve their husbandry skills. There are multiple ways of acheiving success in aquaria, but there is also flat out bad advice. Period.

first, thanks for getting back to me about the cray so fast.. i think i'll rehome when i can

second, IN NO WAY did i mean that you guys were out of line.. here, the newb was def the rude one lol

i was just saying that some people on here just arent friendly. because of my personal experience in the beggining, i almost never came back. i felt A LOT of the people here were crazy rude & mean but i soon learned there is a lotta great folks on here w/ exellent advice

LETS ALL JUST BE FRIENDS AND SPREAD SOME FISHY FACTS ALONG W/ SOME P-VIBES!!

Reactions: HN1
i think it must depend on the temprement of the cray you get mine is about 12 months old has shelled twice and is about 6 inch long he is a blue cray i have him at the moment in a 20 gal tank (time to get a bigger tank) i feed him on frozen shrimp i have plants and yes he pulls some out but they are easy to put back he quite happily lives with 3 corys and 4 loaches and others they swim in and out of his pipe no problem i keep one side of my tank very well planted so my fish can sleep at night and he cant sneak up it seems to work for me hes so great and interesting but its up to u good luck

No matter what size a cray is, it will eat whatever I can grab. I've had and have half a dozen blue and tangerine crays, each. Sizes of a quarter, to size of a hand. They all ended up in my pond cuz they couldn't coexist in my tanks with other fish. They also have a tendency of killing each other if you don't have multipul hiding spots in the same area. They are way cool pets though. I'd get one, just make sure you heed all the warnings in this thread. They're all true.

Okay let's start again... I have a crayfish and it's lived with a highly stocked tank of all sorts for the past 10 months and hasn't ate a thing, but as the others have said this means nothing maybe I have the only kind cray in the world who knows heres a few pictures just to show his warm heart after not eating for two days he is happy to give up his pellet to the hungry fish :) ...

image-2657945606.jpg

image-1363102683.jpg

image-2630424331.jpg

image-259978271.jpg

image-310584281.jpg

Back
Top Bottom