Crayfish Growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmeunier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently I added two crayfish to my aquarium. When I added them, they were each about 2 inches long. Well, 4 weeks later, one of them has molted twice (!!) and is about 7 inches long, while the other hasn't grown at all. Is this normal? Shouldn't I expect the other to be growing at the same rate? How much larger can I expect the 'big' one to get--it's getting to the point where I'm thinking of giving it it's own tank.

Thanks;
Jay

7 inches is a big crayfish. I've had mine for more than a year and it's only about 4 - 5 inches big. Do you two get along? How big is your tank? I was under the impression that they didn't get along with each other. Maybe one is eating alot more than the other and that is causing the growth differences.

no i too have a 7 inch crayfish i ve had it nearly a year and i think it gonnu molt again!

That sounds like a huge crayfish to me! I've had one in my 55g for probably 2 or 3 months now, and I haven't seen it molt once yet. It hides a lot, though, so maybe it could molt without me knowing. I assume that when it molts, though, I'd see a discarded shell lying around somewhere?

I have had 2 Crayfish for about 6 months and they are around 4 inchs. they have doubled since i have gotten them. they seem to molt once a month. I added a new one last week and he is doing fine he is about 2 inchs. I have 2 tiger barbs and 3 long finned rosy barbs in the same tank and they don't go after them i feed them pellets for bottom feeders. 7 inches, I want to know what you are feeding them!! :lol:

Lobster tail anyone? :mrgreen:

I have a baby blue lobster, cute, but hard to find, I mean, REALLY hides well. Some barbs tried to give him grief, but he won. :lol:

An Update on my crayfish situation

Well, I'm at 6 weeks with the cray, and here's where I stand.

It's molted once again---yes, 3 times in 6 weeks--this thing's crazy! He has also turned completely BLUE! I originally wanted a blue lobster for the tank (kids love 'em!), but we settled on the $1.49 crays as opposed to the $19.99 blue lobsters. Alas, I now have a blue monster in my tank. :)

What has it eaten? Let's see: 2 Oscars (1 of them was 3 times it's size!), 4 goldfish, 1 red terror, 1 pleco, the other crayfish, and 1 green severum. It's also eaten it's old shell twice. This thing is crazy!

What do I feed it? Well, I have a 100% S.A. cichlid tank now, and I feed the tank tetra cichlid granules in the morning and night, and also add a few shrimp pellets in the evening. As a treat, every 3 days I add an ice cube with diced 'real' shrimp meat in it.

In any case, this monster is amazing to watch. I was "lucky" enough to see him catch and eat oscar #2, and it was simply fascinating to watch. These buggers are FAST when they want to eat. From catch to completely eaten was about 30 minutes. Not a trace left.

In the tank with the cray I have 2 1.5 inch convicts, 1 3 inch green terror, 1 3 inch red terror, 1 green severum, and 1 pleco. He has been trying unsuccessfully to catch them all week.

So, as of today, the cray is about 8 inches long, has claws that are about 2.5 inches long, and is striking fear into the hearts of all my cichlids. :)

At this rate, ill have a fully formed 'lobster' in about 2 months. It's amazing!!! Seriously, it really is frustrating, since I **love** the cichlids, and aside from the kids, would have a 100% cichlid tank. The cray has eaten about $30 of fish, and is really starting to tick me off! BUT, the kids love the thing, so it's not going anywhere!

Jay

I assume that when it molts, though, I'd see a discarded shell lying around somewhere?

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes they eat the old shell, need some kinda nutrients in the old shell to harden the new shell. I cna't recall what the nutrient is right now, dag it!

Yep; many of the FW shrimp/cray/lobster types will eat their moults to get the lost minerals back. I know they all need a source of calcium; shrimp need a little iodine as well but I'm not positive about crayfish. My ghost and cherry shrimp get a drop of iodine every week after I water change the tank they're in.

well mine jus died it had an infected leg , i ve never kept one more than a year :?
what species were yours ? i've had two both were american signals....i miss them!
anyone with some of these living sucessfully?

Re: An Update on my crayfish situation

jmeunier said:
Well, I'm at 6 weeks with the cray, and here's where I stand.
What has it eaten? Let's see: 2 Oscars (1 of them was 3 times it's size!), 4 goldfish, 1 red terror, 1 pleco, the other crayfish, and 1 green severum. It's also eaten it's old shell twice. This thing is crazy!

Good god, I'm never getting one unless it has it's own tank, lol. That's insane.

I lost a Cichlid last week because of a cray and i love them but not in the same tank as anything else. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom