crayfish in RVA anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tentacles

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello, i didnt quite figure out the trading post/classified section here, so ill just say it in here. If anyone that lives around central virginia richmond area or wherever wants a crayfish or a few for their tank, or food for a big fish let me know i have about 8 looking for a home, all free, just let me know, theyre all about 1 to 2 inches and dont bother fish-good for eating the muck off the bottom of the tank. thanks

where do you live? just concerned about how well theyd do shipped.

not much of an idea on the species, ill try and look it up for you

they are either hobbs crayfish or dulanes crayfish, may be both for all i know, got 15 now

yes they are native, central virginia, and this is just a guess by what they very much look like and most definitely do not look like
they are not agressive with fish, just with themselves, theyll eat each other if a hardcore fight breaks out, and theyll grow to their surroundings, found one in a small part of the creek about an inch long and found another in the same creek, bigger space, about 5 inches long. i dont know what else the species name would give you info on, but here they are.

hobbs: cambarus hobbsi
dulanes: procambarus tulanei

just checked out a site off google, and they are definitely in the cambarus genus, shorter fatter claws
check it out, they look more like the one with the hints of blue in the larger picture than any of the others, colors vary, have some bluish, some gray, some tan, and a very red one.

cant get the link to work, just google 'virginia crayfish' and its the first one

Native Virginia species grow a bit too large for my preferences. I'm looking for some more dwarf species, currently have a trio of C. patzcuarensis.

the tiny little bright red ones!
i love those but im afraid they would get destroyed by these others and maybe even the fish, my gourami eats anything

Actually, they're orange, though the trio I have are orange/brown mixed. They will produce some orange fry though. I keep mine with cherry shrimp, recently set up a 30 long to move them into from the 10. I'd like to find some cajuns to put into the 10 when the others move out. As long as they have cover to hide when they molt, the gourami shouldn't be a problem. The larger crayfish would eat them pretty quickly though.

Back
Top Bottom