Crayfish n' minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just put together a crayfish and minnow tank, 5 crayfish that are about a inch or so right now, 12 or so minnows and I was wondering what I should feed the crayfish? I'm pretty sure the minnows will be hunted when the crayfish get bigger, but as a general food would spirulina disks be enough? And if so, how many should I put it as they grow?

Thanks!

Thats what I feed mine. But are they wild or from a lfs mine is from a lfs. I'd think theyd eat it though mine eats anything spirlina disks,lettuce,carrots, dog food you name it it eats it. How big of a tank are they in also? And the minnows will become a nice snack when they get bigger like you said. hope I helped.

Caught them from the wild, had quite a choice at my stream by my house. Hundreds and hundreds of rocks in the stream, and a different sized crayfish under every other one.

img_475245_0_8ee12b30920f25a8f2fb2b5b445c2f50.jpg

The tank is 10-15 gallons. Set up a cave structure for them with multiple tiers. Also took some grass-like plant that was growing in the water and planted it in the substrate (also from the river lol, clay/gravel/bigger rocks). Mainly for the minnows to hide in if they want. Just set it up so it's pretty cloudy

Also, I have a fish in there that only swims on the bottom, has two dorsal fins, shorter one in front and longer one closer to its tail fin. and some black markings on it, sortof vertical stripes. Any clue what it is?

EDIT:
I'm almost positive its either a johnny darter or banded darter, member of the perch family. Very cool looking

i have a new blue lobster and he just eats what ever my fish don't eat. but i think he likes crushed cichlid pellets.

Back
Top Bottom