Crayfish Ran Off With Thermometer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was watching my crayfish when he grabbed the thermometer in the tank and relocated it from the front of the tank to the back. It must have been in his way.

A few days ago he started a major project which I have now realized looks like an excavation site. He has pushed all the gravel from one side of the tank away from the edge and has formed what looks like a ditch from the front to the back of the tank. I can see the bottom of the tank in many places. I even saw him picking at the silicon in the front corner and considered putting my hand in the tank to halt this action. I thought to myself he's going to make the tank spring a leak.

I must say this crayfish is very industrious. One of the reasons I like him so much. He seems to act with intelligence and build things that are useful. In this case, he may be building a new home since the pleco always pushes him back into his cave where he currently lives. He's probably tired of that. The entrance to the cave he made smaller by building a wall part way up.

Have any of you ever seen crayfish do these things?

Wow, I've heard some fish stories, but none like that, ever !
Sounds like you have a right old Einstein there mate, must be a joy to own / watch :!: When you say about the thermometer, did it actually re-stick it on the other side !!!? ... or just move it ?

Great story. :)

Sounds like crayfish have as much personality as the saltwater pistol shrimp.

It will make great entertainment to watch as it builds its enviorment to suite its needs.

Actually, this thermometer is the type that does not attach to the tank. It is round, about as thick as little finger and has a weight on the lower side to keep it on the bottom of the tank.

I watched him move it a couple more times. He does have a unique personality. I like creatures that are creative and don't just mindlessly swim around (in this case walk around).

I am considering moving its cave to that side of the tank to see if he really just wants to live over there now.

wow

I never realized that a crayfish could be so smart! That's hilarious that he's redecorating half your tank! Do you have any pictures of him or his decorating to post?

I am going to borrow a good digital recorder and camera to get some good pictures. Will I be able to post moving pictures to this site or just the digital photos?

In my LFS one day we watched a crayfish climb up the hose in the back of his tank, across the edge of the tank and then dive into the next one along. The LFS owner put a lid on the tank after that. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom