Craziness has ensued in my tanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clay16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For starts i am aware the re-homing necessities of certain fish in my tanks, but i have 2 topics/questions.

1. Can changing lighting on a tank over-stress fish and possibly kill them? On my 55 gallon planted tank i have a 48" T5 fixture that i had a 6700k and a Colormax bulb in, i took the Colormax out and put another 6700K in. Can the increase in brightness and change in spectrum stress/kill a fish? Specifically a GBR? Of course i tested my waters and everything was perfect 0,0,0.

2. The other issue occuring in the same 55 Gal is that my Pictus Catfish has all of a sudden become a Hardass! I have never seen him act like this and i have had him for 7 months or so. He usually minds his own in his "cave" and roams the bottom for food. But today he came out and met the normal "Tank Mayor" (a Banded Leoprinus) directly in the center of the tank for what seemed like numerous fights/attacks and it appeared the catfish was winning them (see attatched video). Does this normally happen? Anyways him doing that definitely threw everyone in the tank off and everybody was scattering away from him. I was worried about everyones safety because it was the most violence i have seen in my tanks so I re-homed him in my cichlid tank which he is still chasing fish!!!

Sorry this is long but i had a clown loach and a GBR die on my last night that i had for 2 1/2 months :(... and now the fighting from the catfish i just didnt know what was happening with my tank!!!! :banghead:

As you can see The Banded Leoprinus kinda swims upswards and kinda paralyzed? werid stuff.

Catfish becoming a badass - YouTube

I have a Leoprinus in my 55 gallon, and have had a similar problem between him and my large rainbow shark. In my case, they were having "spats" over hiding spaces and territories. I simply re-arrange the decor in my tank from time to time, when I see the tension rising, and this keeps the issues to a minimum. The biggest problem I have now is the Leoprinus stealing the algae wafers I feed to my 9" pleco! He just picks them up right from under the pleco and swims off with them....to keep them to himself!

Leporinus do best in groups, but most people don't have room for a group of these.

Multiple hiding areas may help reduce aggression, plus sight breaks.

Pictus do have venom in their spines. It may have "stung" the Leporinus. It's not deadly, but can hurt like hell.

Little gbrs and clown loaches aren't going to live long with a lepronius in the tank...

While pictus cats will eat small fish a lepronius is a brutal killing machine to most non-large fish...

Back
Top Bottom