Crazy Albino Cat and other advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BondStreet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi There....

I just(a couple of days ago) bought a small albino cat and after placing it in my aquarium, it swims around like crazy! I mean it is skimming the surface, all around the bottom, and all around the glass. I would't have been concerned, however, he does this all the time! Is there something wrong with it? Is it freaking out?

Also, my tank is 75 gallons, and I want to continue to make it a community tank. So far, I have Yellow tetras, a few other tetras, 4 neon tetras, and a couple of guppies. I was wondering what would be good fish to consider. Adding them slowly of course. I just want to know what to look for and what to avoid. When I bought the neon tetras for the first time, there were 6 and 2 of them were(sadly) eaten. I think it was cause the other tetras have been there longer and were threatened territorially.

Any advice?
Much thanks

Are you talking about an albino Cory cat? When I got my first pair of Bronze Corys, they were manic for the first week or so - they just swam up and down the glass repeatedly. They eventually chilled out ... give him time to settle in.

One thing about Corys is they're better in groups. I'm down to 2 at the moment - they seem OK, but they're best in groups of 4+

Cory Cat? Wow, this is how out of it I really am. The Albino cat I got is the one that is good because it helps keep the gravel "clean". Is that a Cory cat?
Thanks!

Good stuff! As you've probably gathered from the link, he's a Corydoras Aeneus - same as mine, but the colourless version!

My advice would be to get him some pals ... besides being good scavengers, they're a really fun and entertaining fish to watch. They're really hardy and dead easy to breed.

You mention your tank is not yet fully stocked - is it a new setup? Has the tank cycled fully yet?

With regard to what else to put in the tank (apart from lots of Corys :D ) - do you know the pH of your water? Many fish tend to do better in a certain pH range ... that should be a factor in deciding what else would be best in your tank.

Hope this helps,

Minx

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah my tank has been up and running for about a month now. It has fully cycled(thank God) and doesnt have much in it apart from some tetras and guppies. The pH is about 8.2. I am also slowly building it to be a planted tank.

That said, any advice you have as to what community fish would be good, would be totally helpful.

I really appreciate your help!
Bond street

Take a look at a few of these threads, they might help.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2086&highlight=

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=1606

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=671

You tend to find everybody has different tastes & there are so many fish to choose from. Have a look at some general tropical fish websites (just do a search for 'tropical fish' and you'll find plenty), find some fish you like the look of then see if any of the guys here have any experience of them.

Good luck!

Minx

Back
Top Bottom