Crazy Algae Growth. Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helyanwe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So ive set up some shelves in my garage for my breeder tanks, and I used shop lights over them. Its been maybe 2 weeks since they have been setup, and ive got crazy algae growth in the tanks. Im using daylight bulbs, ive heard those were best... but now im not so sure they are a good idea. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of bulbs I can get? Something easy to find, and wont promote so much algae.
Thanks!

Algae isn't caused by the bulb spectrum but instead of the tank parameters and photo period.

How long have you been running the bulbs every day?
What is the type of algae you're having trouble with?

High nitrates also make it grow.. some people have luck in getting rid of algae using products that have nitrate converting bacteria like the aquaripure

I dont have any live plants, my tanks water parameters are all good.
The algae is a brownish? color. Maybe more like a rust color? Something along those lines.
The lights are on between 10-12 hours a day.

Those are ditoms. They are a self limiting algae that feeds off of excess silicates in the water. They are 100% common for new tanks and will eventually go away on their own.

Try cutting the photoperiod on the tanks down to 6 hours and that should help the issue a little.

Mebbid is quite right. Diatoms nearly always show up in new tanks and go away on their own. Though most snails will eat them happily too, Nerites love diatoms especially.

I'm curious, why get daylight type bulbs if you have no plants ? They are mainly used for plant growth, rather than to make fish look good. There are other lighting options that produce a lot less PAR, that will enhance the look of fish.

PAR is photosynthetically active radiation, it's the spectra of light that plants use to make food, by photosynthesis. High PAR lighting is needed to grow many plants, especially the most demanding ones, but if you are not having plants, why have daylight bulbs ?

In any case, about 8 hours or so is all you need to have them on, even if you are growing plants.

Well like I said I was told those were good lights to get, I was asking which bulbs would be a better option since I dont have plants and im using shop lights.

Back
Top Bottom