Crazy Cat - Help from kitty owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am bringing home a kitty who live at one of my holistic pet stores.

He is young and super CRAZY and I know he is going to jump on the tops of my fish tanks. I just know it.

Any advice for supporting the lids on the tanks until the cat gets bored with the fish? He'll stop doing it once he gets used to it, but I am SURE he'll be sitting on the lids to the tanks. I am SURE!

I was thinking of laying a piece of wood across the lids to actually give him a place to walk. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em??

My other cats just sit and watch - he will be in the tanks if he can!

Advice from other kitty owners?

Janelle

He is young and super CRAZY and I know he is going to jump on the tops of my fish tanks. I just know it.

Any advice for supporting the lids on the tanks until the cat gets bored with the fish? He'll stop doing it once he gets used to it, but I am SURE he'll be sitting on the lids to the tanks. I am SURE!

I was thinking of laying a piece of wood across the lids to actually give him a place to walk. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em??

Janelle

Leave the lid right off. The first time he takes a swim he will think twice before doing it again, lol :)

I have owned 5 cats over the years and I have never found that I could stop my cat from "fishing". To answer your question, I would put a few books on the rim, not heavy or thick, but large. Good luck!

I have known people using tape placed sticky side up, to stop them from jumping up there. My cat could care less about fish and chases the moths that come into the house ;)

I have to disagree with once the cat falls in once he will learn...mine has fallen in the tank several times lol....since I put a lid on he stays off.

LOl! Every cat is different- mine have gotten wet before & have never gone near the tanks again (and they are lid-free). You can also try a squirt bottle water & spray the cat if he tries to jump up. No guarentee it will work though! Putting a plank across the top sounds like an easy solution as long as it doesnt slide around when the cat jumps up on it- you may have to find a way to secure it. Good luck! :)

I guess I'm lucky. My cats have never bothered my tanks. But, leave something on top and they are sure to knock it in. Lost an 8gb Sanza mp3 player that way.

For training a cat a squirt bottle works best. You CANNOT let them see you squirt them though or it will not work. They must think that the squirting is coming from the "cat gods" or they will just not be "bad" when you are home. Of course, some cats don't mind being squirted.

For training a cat a squirt bottle works best. You CANNOT let them see you squirt them though or it will not work. They must think that the squirting is coming from the "cat gods" or they will just not be "bad" when you are home. Of course, some cats don't mind being squirted.
This method is used widely, but all but one of my cats actually cared that they were being squirted...

Janelle

Take a look at my album. I haven't really tried to stop her, but she doesn't do any harm. It is sometimes the warmest place in the house.

Take a look at my album. I haven't really tried to stop her, but she doesn't do any harm. It is sometimes the warmest place in the house.
That's awesome dlongbeach! Your kitty looks almost like the kitty I have already who cat walks on top of the tanks. Maybe I'm worrying for not much. All of my tanks have lids - my big boy Fezzik has already been caught walking across my 72 gallon and he's bigger than the kitty I'm worried about bringing home. Oliver is very curious though so I'll just have to keep an eye on him. But perhaps all will be Okay.

Only my youngest (Fezzik) pays any attention to the tanks - yes and bats at the glass... He loves to sit next to it on the table and just watch. Especially the pleco!

Good lids keep kitties out? I hope!

Janelle

That's awesome dlongbeach! Your kitty looks almost like the kitty I have already who cat walks on top of the tanks. Maybe I'm worrying for not much. All of my tanks have lids - my big boy Fezzik has already been caught walking across my 72 gallon and he's bigger than the kitty I'm worried about bringing home. Oliver is very curious though so I'll just have to keep an eye on him. But perhaps all will be Okay.

Only my youngest (Fezzik) pays any attention to the tanks - yes and bats at the glass... He loves to sit next to it on the table and just watch. Especially the pleco!

Good lids keep kitties out? I hope!

Janelle

Thanks Janelle! I've had no problems and she even climbs to the back and all around. She watches me feed them and when they blow bubbles and smack their lips, she has the most adorable look on her face. She is curious though. But no other problems. I mean, she only weighs about 7 pounds. I think glass lids are the best to support the weight. Have fun watching your new kitty enjoy other animals! I really think you will be fine!

Id just let it be for the time being if he causes problems then take action my discus actually nibble my cats tale as he drinks water from the tank. The cat spray bottle will work but like everyones said cant let the little guy see you
doing it that or buy a school of piranha :)

Two of my tanks have a shelf or something right next to it so the kitty just sits there instead of on top. She does think the hob filter is her own personal water fountain though.

It is so funny hearing these interesting stories of these other kitties. My lightest cat weighs 12 lbs - and the kitty I'm bringing home from my shop is about 14 lbs. But my 17 lb can has walked across the top of my 72 gallon not that I WANT him to but he has...

{{SIGH}}
Right now he's sitting on the floor in front of the 72 gallon watching the bubbles. He loves the fishes.

So I shouldn't panic and see how it goes with the other cat. I'm sure he'll get over the excitement eventually.

Thanks ya'll!

Janelle

It is so funny hearing these interesting stories of these other kitties. My lightest cat weighs 12 lbs - and the kitty I'm bringing home from my shop is about 14 lbs. But my 17 lb can has walked across the top of my 72 gallon not that I WANT him to but he has...

{{SIGH}}
Right now he's sitting on the floor in front of the 72 gallon watching the bubbles. He loves the fishes.

So I shouldn't panic and see how it goes with the other cat. I'm sure he'll get over the excitement eventually.

Thanks ya'll!

Janelle
Good luck with your cat! Wow, cats really do crazy things...

The sticky side up tape works cats hate stepping on sticky stuff they hate stepping on tin foil too so could cover with that but the tape stays there easier

Two thoughts that I can contribute...

If the cat can simply step onto the top and then walk around it, you have less chance of him breaking something or knocking something loose compared to a cat that can jump DOWN onto the tank, or jump UP onto the top. Both of these actions result in more force applied to the glass/plastic and seriously increase the chances for mayhem and destruction. Either way, consider using clamps to secure stuff NOW, before the first jump!

Secondly, a terrific training aid is the "Scat Mat". It produces an electric zap just like touching a doorknob after scuffing your feet on a carpet. Not painful, but memorable, and cats hate it. We use two in our home to keep our cats (all 7 of them) out of areas that are dangerous to them...like the glass top to my tank. They even make a long, thin Scat Matt that is supposed to be used on window sills, but actually also fits nicely on the top of a flourescent tank light.

I train cats with squirt bottle. They are allowed to watch birds or fish CALMLY ! But if they go into stalking mode or obsess they get nailed !

I have birds as well as small fish tanks with dogs ( Whippets with high prey drive ) and cats.

Dogs aren't allowed to kill cats or birds.
Cats aren't allowed to attack dogs or birds or fish.
Birds and fish not allowed to party past midnight j/k

I set rules boundaries and limitations from day one. New cats aren't allowed near birds or fish except when I'm home to train. Once newness wears off and critters behave then I'll trust them more.

I try to set them up to succeed.

My Canary has landed on my dogs and my Cat by accident. They hold still til I can get him off.

Back
Top Bottom