Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2004, 05:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crazy rubber pleco!!!

OK, here's a little background info here. Yes, I purchased the stupid Wal-Mart 10 gallon kit, and got the crumby Regent filter with no Biowheel. So I took a pair of cut up pantyhose, put some gravel in it for some media, and then sat that inside the filter. So in other words, water comes in, goes through the filter pad, runs through the gravel inside the panty hose, then flows back into the aquarium.

Last night, I heard splashing coming from the 10 gallon. I turn on the lights in the room, nothing seems amiss. About 10 minutes later, more splashing. Again, lights go on, and my rubber pleco is gone. I search high and low, all over around the aquarium, and no luck. I figure he is just hiding inside of the decoration, forget about it. Another 10 minutes, and more splashing! (I'm getting irritated now) I get up and rubber pleco is back in his little corner. I'm tired, so I go back to sleep.

Anyway, I was working on my computer today and hear the splashing again. I get up, the rubber pleco is gone again. I look at the filter, and his tail is hanging out where the water is flowing back into the aquarium! I take off the top of the filter, and there he is sucking on the pantyhose! He jumped back in later. This seems strange to me! I've heard of fish jumping out, fish getting stuck to the intake, but not of fish jumping into the outflow of the filter!

I don't think there's any way to stop him either...the water needs to flow back in...as long as he doesn't jump out I won't worry about it.

Some plecos kids!
Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
That's too funny!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Oh please get a pic if you can!! Also, give your little guy some greens like zucchini, cucumer or broccoli since he is looking for tasty treats!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like your pleco thinks he is a salmon and needs to swim upstream to spawn. Very funny story!

Tags
pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com