Crazy rubber pleco!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, here's a little background info here. Yes, I purchased the stupid Wal-Mart 10 gallon kit, and got the crumby Regent filter with no Biowheel. So I took a pair of cut up pantyhose, put some gravel in it for some media, and then sat that inside the filter. So in other words, water comes in, goes through the filter pad, runs through the gravel inside the panty hose, then flows back into the aquarium.

Last night, I heard splashing coming from the 10 gallon. I turn on the lights in the room, nothing seems amiss. About 10 minutes later, more splashing. Again, lights go on, and my rubber pleco is gone. I search high and low, all over around the aquarium, and no luck. I figure he is just hiding inside of the decoration, forget about it. Another 10 minutes, and more splashing! (I'm getting irritated now) I get up and rubber pleco is back in his little corner. I'm tired, so I go back to sleep.

Anyway, I was working on my computer today and hear the splashing again. I get up, the rubber pleco is gone again. I look at the filter, and his tail is hanging out where the water is flowing back into the aquarium! I take off the top of the filter, and there he is sucking on the pantyhose! He jumped back in later. This seems strange to me! I've heard of fish jumping out, fish getting stuck to the intake, but not of fish jumping into the outflow of the filter! :)

I don't think there's any way to stop him either...the water needs to flow back in...as long as he doesn't jump out I won't worry about it.

Some plecos kids! :D
Paul

Oh please get a pic if you can!! Also, give your little guy some greens like zucchini, cucumer or broccoli since he is looking for tasty treats!

Sounds like your pleco thinks he is a salmon and needs to swim upstream to spawn. Very funny story!

Back
Top Bottom