Creating a current in a 10G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkmule27

Aquarium Advice Activist
After exhaustive research, I've come to a conclusion on my 10G for next year (seriously, it's a 4 book excel file with all my info!). Basically, it's a loose amazon biotope. I'm planning on filtering it with sponge filters (easier to hide), but open to changing that.

My question is what would be the best way to create a gentle flow in this tank? I'm open to any reasonable ideas...the niftier (and cheaper) the better! TIA!

Don't know if its the best/cheapest way, but I filter my ten gal with a hang on power filter, and the return seems to create some movement, not through the whole tank but a good chunk of it.

I suggest getting a HOB Powerfilter, easy to hide if you have tall plants. I have a HOB Powerfilter on my 5G planted tank and you can't even see the intake tube. Plus on mine you can adjust the flow rate of the filter so then you can adjust the current in your biotope. Sponge filters take up quite a bit of space and honestly never saw how it is easy to hide in small tanks like a 10G.

Add an undergravel fillter with a powerhead at the top so the water will be easliy flowed about

I strongly suggest you do not add an UG filter. I am guessing your going to use live plants to get a very natural biotope, and with that you do not want an UG filter. The roots will grow intangled with the plants, you cannot use sand with them, and you have to clean them out which you will have to destory your whole scape.

Like I said before I think your best buy would be a HOB Powerfilter that has an adjustable flow rate.

Like this one:
AquaClear 20 Aquarium Power Filter - for 5 to 20 gallon | Power Aquarium Filters | Filters | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Maybe try a penguin mini. I have these on our tens and they create a nice little current

Thanks for all the replies!

I have a UGF on my 20 at home and while I like it, it won't work for this. However, I probably should have mentioned the limitations earlier...
I have to transport this tank 2.5 hours 4 times a year. I won't be using sand as (a) I personally don't like it and (b) it's pretty darn hard to transport! I will also be using very limited, hardy live plants and a variety of fake to supplement for the ones I just can't have. That's one reason I'm not worried about hiding a sponge filter if I do go that route, lol.

I may go the HOB route, but I'm curious if there are other options like a small enough powerhead? Also, if I do use an HOB, would a larger one be better for current? I'm not concerned about filtering right now.

I have a 20G whisper powerfilter on my 5G. I put it on lowest flow-rate and it's fine for my betta. That thing can get a very good current though going full-rate.

I would stay away from UGF from any aquarium honestly. They are just bad.

Since you have to move it 4 times a year, I would suggest something easier for a tank, and not a biotope. Since you'll have to be continously tearing it down.

I have to respectfully disagree on the UGF (like anything, they're bad if not properly cared for), but that's neither here nor there.

I have done exhaustive research for this tank and feel that I can maintain and transport this if I tweak the usual "biotope" setup slightly (i.e. silk plants in place of more delicate ones). If I was not 100% sure I could tackle this challenge, I would not take it on. I've maintained an "easier" tank for 2 years with the same 4-times-a-year transportation. I have a good amount of experience keeping tanks and am ready for something more difficult.

I'll tinker with the HOB when I'm home and see how that would work...it would sure make seeding the filter easy!
I'm still interested in powerheads if I can find one small enough. Do they even make one small enough?

UGF's arent bad at all. There might be some drawbacks with a planted tank however they are better biological filters then penguins are.

HOT filters create current. So do canister filters, which I like better but havnt repurchased one with the new set up yet, still working on that.

Thats all I can add, I wouldnt want to think about tearing down and setting up 4 times a year.

Ya but the roots will grow down in it and the powerhead will suck all of the detris down there wear it is available to the roots.

Back
Top Bottom