Crickets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly247

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went to PetSmart today to get a few pond snails to feed my puffer. They didnt have any, so I bought 5 small crickets instead. I dropped the 5 into my 20gal and watched to see what would happen. My tanks has 3 tiger barbs, 3 zebra danios, a guppy, spotted puffer, 2 otos and a kuhli loach. Also have some ghost shrimp. Ohh and a catfish. The barbs started picking at the crickets. One would grab one and pull it down to the bottom and then let it go. It would start floating back to the surface, but before it would get there, another barb would drag it back down. This went on for about a min, then a feeding frenzy started and the 5 crickets where gone in about 3mins. Anyone else use live crickets to feed their fish? What live things do you feed them?

Sent from my LG-E971 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of feeding crickets to piranhas and oscars, but haven't tried it with my fish since my fish have much too small of mouths for the most part. I usually stick to live blackworms and brine shrimp :)

While not a feeding related story, I have a similar story too... When I added additional dwarf crays to my 36 gallon bowfront, my established female started sparring with the male I added. He tried to retreat, so she grabbed his freaking feeler and yanked him right back to her! Then she continued holding onto the feeler so he couldn't escape while she went for his underbelly with her other claw. I had to separate them before she did any serious damage!

While not a feeding related story, I have a similar story too... When I added additional dwarf crays to my 36 gallon bowfront, my established female started sparring with the male I added. He tried to retreat, so she grabbed his freaking feeler and yanked him right back to her! Then she continued holding onto the feeler so he couldn't escape while she went for his underbelly with her other claw. I had to separate them before she did any serious damage!

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread but that was freaking hilarious :ROFLMAO:. Sounds like something my wife would do!

Sorry don't mean to highjack the thread but that was freaking hilarious :ROFLMAO:. Sounds like something my wife would do!

It was horrible, but we were laughing too... :oops: She has been affectionately nicknamed Scorpia now... Poor male just wanted sexy times and once he realized she wasn't in the mood he was just flailing and trying to escape, not even attacking back, but she wanted none of that!

Back
Top Bottom