Crickets & my African Butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got him some crickets, and he's eating them. Two a day seems to be his limit. All I'm feeding the crickets is the green gel cubes. Is this a complete diet for them, or is it just moisture? I'm afraid the reason so many died last time was because that's all I gave them. They are in a large Kritter Keepers w/egg cartons and no substrate. What else should I be giving them? Thanks!

Being carnivores you can try a variety of frozen foods with them. Brine shrimp, mysis, beef heart, bloodworms, etc.

Caleb

I got him some crickets, and he's eating them. Two a day seems to be his limit. All I'm feeding the crickets is the green gel cubes. Is this a complete diet for them, or is it just moisture? I'm afraid the reason so many died last time was because that's all I gave them. They are in a large Kritter Keepers w/egg cartons and no substrate. What else should I be giving them? Thanks!

I feed my crickets a mixture of my crested gecko diet and old veggies. There's also store bought meals. Personally I'd stay away from fluker's cricket diet they don't eat it.

Stay away from veggies that have no colour like ice berg lettuce you want them high in vitamins when they are eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Being carnivores you can try a variety of frozen foods with them. Brine shrimp, mysis, beef heart, bloodworms, etc.

Caleb

The brown cricket that is purchased at most pet stores is mostly a scavenger or detrivore.

There are some predatory species but their availability in the trade is mostly to keep as a pet themselves. Like those used for cricket fighting.

Cricket fighting? Now I've heard it all! The Fluker's green gel cubes get eaten within a day or two. Crested gecko died--I'll have to check that out. Thank you.

Their green cubes are good, they make a dry diet that looks like cardboard and old corn put into a food processor(I'm not sure this is far off from what it is lol). That's the stuff not to buy.

Okay, I'll continue to use the green cubes along with fruits, greens, fish flakes. I forgot to mention I've tried to feed the fish krill, brine shrimp, Emerald Entree, and several other frozen foods, but he wouldn't look at them twice.

I was actually referring to the butterfly fish as a carnivore but I learned about crickets today lol

Caleb

The Butterfly fish has been eating two live crickets a day, but so far, nothing else. And the crickets go through those green cubes like lightning! My gosh, I put about 7-8 of them in with about 30 crickets, and they were gone the next day, along with a piece of dark greens and a piece of strawberry. I can't believe how much those bugs eat! So I put a damp paper towel in there too, to make sure they are getting enough moisture, because at this rate I'll be going through the small container of green cubes every 10 days!

The Butterfly fish has been eating two live crickets a day, but so far, nothing else. And the crickets go through those green cubes like lightning! My gosh, I put about 7-8 of them in with about 30 crickets, and they were gone the next day, along with a piece of dark greens and a piece of strawberry. I can't believe how much those bugs eat! So I put a damp paper towel in there too, to make sure they are getting enough moisture, because at this rate I'll be going through the small container of green cubes every 10 days!

Can also use the cheaper gel water from fluker's, or a cheaper brand name for additional water. the ones with calcium help balance out the high phosphate ratio found naturally in crickets.

Back
Top Bottom