Critique my stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So while my first "female" Dario dario seems to be following my boy everywhere, my second is really aloof... I only got her a couple days after the original pair... I'm hoping she's just playing hard to get and not being excluded.

heyheyitsrae said:
So while my first "female" Dario dario seems to be following my boy everywhere, my second is really aloof... I only got her a couple days after the original pair... I'm hoping she's just playing hard to get and not being excluded.

Not sure if this would work, but you could catch them. Put them in a bag. Then reintroduce them at the same time? I'm pulling that out of my butt tho.

Thanks, I'll try that if she doesn't warm up in awhile. My tank looks really empty now since I moved the harlequins... I don't suppose I could add anything? My current stocking:

3 scarlet badis (1 male, 2 "females")
3 oto cats
1 bristlenose pleco (he's really tiny right now and not ready for the 50 gallon I want to put him in)

I'm thinking you'll want something to occupy the top strata of your tank. You may be ok with some Endlers. I love Endlers :) Look up Severum Mama. She had some pretty Endlers available.

If you're worried about breeding. You can always just get like 2-3 males.

Predfan27 said:
I'm thinking you'll want something to occupy the top strata of your tank. You may be ok with some Endlers. I love Endlers :) Look up Severum Mama. She had some pretty Endlers available.

If you're worried about breeding. You can always just get like 2-3 males.

I thought endlers were just another name for guppies?

Nope! They are related. But generally Endlers stay smaller than guppies. I don't have any pictures on me though.

heyheyitsrae said:
I thought endlers were just another name for guppies?

That's a debate. Are they a guppy variety or are they their own species? You'll get a lot if opinions Most today (unless you get N type) are guppy/Endler hybrids. Ive had both hybrid and N type at different times. Ive found differences in both their looks and behaviour.

I love mine but they are in no way top strata fish. Mine are all over the place.

heyheyitsrae said:
Some water surface agitation, but not much current

I ask because Hatchetfish do not enjoy water movement. The prefer to lounge around at the top. You may be able to get like 3 Marbled in there as I believe they stay smaller than the Silver variety. Maybe someone can check that for me

heyheyitsrae said:
I turned off the air pump (aerator? What's the proper name for it anyway?) and there's barely any movement.

To you have a filter and and air stone? I mean they aren't going to be super unhappy about water movement. Tanks need it anyways haha.

I was thinking about adding my whisper internal filter into this tank...

Edit: relevant because of increased bioload the hatchets would add. But where to put it...

heyheyitsrae said:
I was thinking about adding my whisper internal filter into this tank...

Edit: relevant because of increased bioload the hatchets would add. But where to put it...

I like my internal filter placed on the left or right side of the aquarium. This creates a better flow while still not upsetting the Hatchetfish. Front to back is not as good :) although all my HOB filters do that haha

heyheyitsrae said:
Placed on the left or right side, facing the opposite side of the tank? Also would it suck up my plants?

Yep, either side, facing the other side of the tank. This creates the most movement at the smallest current. (confusing I know) You're plants will be just fine where they are. Unless you have a really powerful filter haha

Had to compromise and make it face diagonally. It lifts the hood up less, and the suction cup wasn't strong enough. Plus I saw a Dario try to swim in there. I freaked out haha. Maybe I'll just seed it and put it in my dad's school tank to compensate for the gourami I want in there.

Back
Top Bottom