Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: That place between sleeping and awake, where dreams become reality and songs of the heart are born
Crossbreeding livebearers?

Does anyone know if it is possible for platys swordtails and molliess to interbreed? I wonder what the babies would look like? :P

Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
as far as I know it can be done, but it's frowned upon lol and they'll most likely be sterile

Old 04-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Platys and swords are commonly bred. they are both from the genus Xiphophorus.
Mollies can not breed with platys or swords they are from the genus Poecilia. Mollies can breed with guppies but this is fairly rare and the off spring are usually sterile. Mollies and guppies really prefer to breed with there own kind. The off spring are often called gollies or muppies.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Platties and sword will cross breed and the offspring will breed. They can be very attractive fish and they can be very ugly fish. I actually don't think my LFS has had a true platty in a long time. They all look like the crossbreeds I have had before I knew better. Survival rate is lower, they don't get along with most other fish, IME, and are nothing like the original species. They seem to change alot and act a differently.

Why, who knows but I wouldn't recommend it just because it pollutes the already hard to find true strain gene pool in the LFS.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollielover
Mollies can not breed with platys or swords they are from the genus Poecilia. Mollies can breed with guppies but this is fairly rare and the off spring are usually sterile. Mollies and guppies really prefer to breed with there own kind. The off spring are often called gollies or muppies.

are there any pics of those fish? It would be really interesting to see!!!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollielover

are there any pics of those fish? It would be really interesting to see!!!
I haven't personally seen any pictures but, maybe I can find one doing a search.

Tags
breed, breeding, live, livebearers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com