crown tail betas. ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55gallons

Aquarium Advice Regular
i thought all betas weren't compatible together -- or is that the japanese fighting fish only??? I was looking on aquabid and someone has 2 male crown tails in a auction that includes a Free female - i thought that you can't put them togethere ??? is this true if not then i guess i won't look into them

what are some tank mates i could get for the crowntails if i do get them ? is it wiser to just buy a crown tail at petco which they want 6.50 or so each ?? or get them off aquabid?

Just because they are selling them together doesn't mean they can be kept together. You can't even keep a male and female together full time. SOME females can be kept together but its hit or miss - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

What she said ^^. Crowntail is just a name for the way the fins look. They are still bettas and males should not be kept together in the same tank (unless its divided).

I think most of the auctions are for around $10 on Aquabid, or higher. You could just save some money and get one from Petco. I bought my CT from Petsmart and he is beautiful!

What size tank are you thinking about putting one in? Tankmates are any peaceful tetras or rasboras and other peaceful fish (I'd avoid gouramis and angelfish as they can sometimes be problems when kept with a betta). Just don't put him with any fin nippers. Make sure the tank is big enough for tankmates though. :)

55gallons said:
i thought all betas weren't compatible together -- or is that the japanese fighting fish only???

Bettas and "Siamese Fighting Fish" are the same thing :)

I've had males and females together...once or twice with two males by accident but there was a "pecking order" by the time I found them (One was more scared than the other and stayed faarrrrr away from the other) or the males weren't aggressive toward each other(odd ball betta) but normally....Males don't like each other ^^;

Crowntail is just a type of tail that betta fish have that makes them look jagged with a lot of space between the frays of the fins.... More commonly you see veiltails with the full long tail...just a matter of what you're into :) @_@ personally some crowntails scare me lol

ok thats what i thought - i've owned japanesse fighting fish before - Alrighty then - ya it does seem cheaper and just plain easier to go to petco then to order the crown tail on there .. as they want 8- or more on aqua bid while pet co wants 6.50 each . ( without shipping charges . i'll do that then .

i like the look of the crown tail never saw one b4 til i saw them on aqua bid i'm thinking of puttin a crown tail in my 20g tall - i do have a 55 gallon tall hex as well - but i think i want to put a pair of angels in that tank.

i have successfully kept a male and a female together for an extended period.....

in a 55 gallon tank with plenty of dither and plants.

Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, but it isn't recommended.

55gallons- There are some seriously cool fish on Aquabid, but a crowntail betta is clearly readily available to you. If I were you, I'd just go to Petco or an LFS and pick out my favorite crowntail, and avoid the shipping charges for Aquabid. That way you don't have to buy a "lot", and you get to choose exactly what you get. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom