CRS coming out of my ears!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gillie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow, when I got these guys I never would have thought that they would be so prolific. I turned the lights on and counted about fifty new baby shrimp( this brings the count to about 100) and I still have one female berried! I guess it is almost time to divide some of into other tanks.

Do you do anything special to get them to be so prolific? I would really like the adventure of breeding stuff, but I need something that won't require a high-tech setup.

Nope, I just feed them and change their water and they do the rest. You do however need plenty of algae or Java Moss in the tank because they hatch into tiny versions of the adults and feed on tiny pieces of algae and infusoria.

Just to clarify, are you talking about Cherry Red Shrimp (RCS) or Crystal Red Shrimp (CRS)? Cherry Red Shrimp have often been called the cockroach of the shrimp world, so it would be no surprise if they were multiplying like mad for you. Crystal Red Shrimp sound like they're a bit more difficult to breed from what I've been reading. If they are breeding like mad for you, I'd love to hear a bit more about your aquarium specs.

Back
Top Bottom