Cruelty to fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am so mad right now. I post my Chinese Algae Eater on Craigslist because he bothers one of my fish all day. I get about 20 people interested and I literally interviewed each one via email to find someone who is capable of providing good care to him. CAE have a bad wrap but this one has a great personality and is very nice looking. See my gallery I wanted to find someone who could care for him properly or I was going to keep him.

Anyway, I find someone to take him that really knows their stuff and has a large tank for him. They really impressed me with their knowledge and was fully aware that they get aggressive and do not eat much algae when their older.

Then I get an email from a guy with one line, "Flush Him."

I couldn't belive it, no Hello, Thank You, just "flush it."

I email him back and tell him to not give advice where he doesn't belong and explained why you don't flush a live or dead fish and it is inhumane. He emails me back, "whatever, I flush mine all the time."

It just makes me so mad that there are people like that. They have no right having any pets!! :twisted:

I just wanted to share this because I needed to vent to people that understand and care about fish

Thanks for reading

you can, some people say its inhumane or it stops up the sewer system, which it does, but i'm not digging a hole and making a casket over a 99 cent fish

I think Mike means that the CAE is still alive and that this guy wants to flush a live fish, not a dead one. People like that believe fish have no feelings, no emotions, no nothing, and even if they don't, I agree that doing anything as stressful as that to any living being is mean.

tropicfishman said:
you can, some people say its inhumane or it stops up the sewer system, which it does, but i'm not digging a hole and making a casket over a 99 cent fish

it doesnt stop up the sewer system. it is inhumane to flush a LIVE fish because they could possibly live weeks in dirty, infested water until they die.

I was just confused 'cause he said you don't flush a live or dead fish....it's inhumane. I wouldn't flush a live or in the process of dying fish. But I have flushed alot of dead fish in my day.

Sounds like this guy was probably just trying to get you upset - or at least I hope. I agree that fish should not be flushed until it's a certainty that they are indeed dead. I go to great lengths to ensure all of my pets are well taken care of, this includes all of my fish. Some people think I'm crazy that I worry so much about my fish, but I chose them and it's my job to make sure they're happy and healthy. People who don't take pet ownership seriously make me sick!

Sorry all. I didn't know what I was saying about dead fish, I was just so mad.
I meant to say something like I don't even flush dead fish, and it's inhumane to flush a live one.

Tropicfishman, it's not about the money but I know what you are saying. It is a live fish.

Gouramifanatic, I agree. He is probably some jerk trying to get me mad.

I didn't even think anybody would respond to this.

Another person emailed me and told me to throw him in the pond. That didn't make me mad because I emailed them explaining why not to do that and they thanked me and told me they didn't know.

Thanks and sorry about the confusion. Didn't mean to start a seperate debate.

Mike469- at least you know who NOT to give your CAE to!!! I even bury most of my dead fish!

Your right! People have been emailing me for alomst two weeks, but I waited unitil I found someone that really knew what they are doing.

the money thing was a joke lol I care alot about my fish, how would you ever get a full grown CAE to go down the toilet????? they get over a foot long don't they????

If I was closer, I'd take him from ya. I've got 4 of them in my 55G with my tiger barbs, sharks, and eels, and they are as aggressive as ever, lol. But they also have character as well. I like it when they just sit on the driftwood and just look at you like, "You're not going to catch me, lol".

my neighbor 12yrs ago, got a 10 gal tank up and running, then got tired, and without asking if i'd take them, flushed the live fish down the toliet, and laughed because the pleco needed 2 flushes, then asked if i wanted the tank...

people are idiots, sadly enough, sure flushing a chihuahua is animal cruelty, but fish are ok?

Hey Lonewolf,

You aint kiddin! My CAE is smart for a fish. The person came to take him, and I have never had so much trouble catching a fish. I had to remove everything, I mean everything to catch him. I had one plant left and he even got into the middle of it. Unreal.

I think almost everyone would agree that flushing live fish is cruel. I don't think flushing dead fish is cruel though.

tropicfishman said:
A 99 cent fish might be worth burrying if you have a garden in your back yard. It's remains will become fertalizer for the plants.

On another note, I've had people tell me to flush my frys. They were probably joking, but I do not flush live fish if i can help it. I'd rather trade them for bloodworms.

I wouldn't let it get to me. People try and rile me up on the net all the time. And usually it just makes me laugh at myself on how seriously I take things. I doubt he was serious when he said he flushes all the time

hulkamaniac said:
I think almost everyone would agree that flushing live fish is cruel. I don't think flushing dead fish is cruel though.

flushing dead fish, not cruel but definitely disrespectuful.

Back
Top Bottom