Crystal red shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettacrazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wanted to purchase some crystal red shrimp and was thinking of getting a 3 gallon tank for them. Would this be enough? How many shrimp could I fit in a 3 gallon? Also I would appreciate advice for anyone who has kept these fascinating little shrimp. :fish2:Betta crazy:fish1:

A 3g has plenty of room for these shrimp. I would start off with 5 and see if they breed.

Is this the first time you are keeping shrimp? I only say this to caution you. There are 2 separate species of tiny shrimp commonly found in the aquarium trade. The bees and the neos. A crystal shrimp belongs to the bees category. Although stunningly beautiful, they can be kinda fussy about their water. Neos (cherry shrimp) are much less fussy and are a great shrimp for beginners to start off with. That being said, with diligence I am sure you ca keep the crystal shrimp.

Is this the first time you are keeping shrimp? I only say this to caution you. There are 2 separate species of tiny shrimp commonly found in the aquarium trade. The bees and the neos. A crystal shrimp belongs to the bees category. Although stunningly beautiful, they can be kinda fussy about their water. Neos (cherry shrimp) are much less fussy and are a great shrimp for beginners to start off with. That being said, with diligence I am sure you ca keep the crystal shrimp.

I think you mean cardinas and neocardinas. There are other cardinas that are not "bee" shrimp such as amanos. Not all cardinas are picky about their water either. In some ways cardinas are less sensitive-for example, to co2. Neocardinas are very sensitive to it while cardinas are a lot less sensitive.

maxwellag said:
I think you mean cardinas and neocardinas. There are other cardinas that are not "bee" shrimp such as amanos. Not all cardinas are picky about their water either. In some ways cardinas are less sensitive-for example, to co2. Neocardinas are very sensitive to it while cardinas are a lot less sensitive.

Yeah but I don't think most people set up a species tank for amanos haha. But yes in that fashion they are less sensitive. But neos will tolerate a wider range of temperatures and water hardness. Or at least that has been my experience. Limited as it may be.

Although a species tank of amano or bamboo would be kinda interesting! Seems I may have found me a reason to get a new tank haha

But alas I should get back to the point of the thread. 3 gallons is easily enough room for them. Are you going to plant the tank?

I am going to have some marimo moss balls in the tank for them to crawl on but I dont know any other plants to keep in the tank. I have kept shrimp before and they started breeding but other fishes killed them. So this tank is shrimp only.

Bettacrazy said:
I am going to have some marimo moss balls in the tank for them to crawl on but I dont know any other plants to keep in the tank. I have kept shrimp before and they started breeding but other fishes killed them. So this tank is shrimp only.

Shrimp love marimo balls. I also recommend java moss.

Back
Top Bottom