Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Culturing algae for auratus and Pseudotropheus socolofi??

These fish have great interest at nipping on my fake plants and anything that has some algae growth to it. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to grow algae on a couple of round river rocks and add them to the tank. If so, would I have to aerate the water in which I grow the algae? And can I include a light source for 24 hours a day to help algae grow faster? If anyone has done this before your advice would be appreciated. Also not sure if this is the right area to be posting this, so move it if necessary.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just started growing some green water in a glass jar, put it outside to get more sun but am thinking along the same lines as you with a light.

If anyone knows anything about the dark period requirements of algae I'd like to know.

I put some garden fertilizer in with mine and it has really taken off. Just used a water soluble garden fert at the minimum dosage.

Haven't given any aeration but plan to when I bring it inside. I couldn't be bothered with CO2 injection but you could give that a try.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's awesome. How long did it take to grow outside? If you can grow it without CO2 then I wouldn't bother with that either Thanks for the insight. What are you using the green water for if I may ask?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Took about 3 weeks I think.
Will be feeding my daphnia culture on it.

I have a tank with just a few of those little snails you get on plants that I plan to fill with green water and the daphnia in hopes that the snail poo will fertilize the green water for the daphnia to eat.

Hoping to breed enough to feed my guppies then maybe get a trout or something similar and feed it guppies.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

o_O very interesting! I have a 10 gallon brine shrimp growout tank to feed my Cichlids if it's any constellation, haha.

Tags
algae, auratus, tropheus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com