Curious About Your Winter Outage Strategies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, so for us Betta lovers, no lower than about 65. Question: why would you not feed while the power is out? Is that for Bettas only, tropical fish only, or all denizens of the aquarium? Is it something about aeration?

My condolences to your wife about her Betta, charliebankston.

I noticed that within 10 minutes of the electricity quitting my snails made a beeline--er, snailine--to the heater, which they hugged for the duration trying to absorb as much residual warmth as possible. They stayed stuck to it until the tank was back up to 78-80.

Okay, so for us Betta lovers, no lower than about 65. Question: why would you not feed while the power is out? Is that for Bettas only, tropical fish only, or all denizens of the aquarium? Is it something about aeration?

My condolences to your wife about her Betta, charliebankston.

I noticed that within 10 minutes of the electricity quitting my snails made a beeline--er, snailine--to the heater, which they hugged for the duration trying to absorb as much residual warmth as possible. They stayed stuck to it until the tank was back up to 78-80.
Haha! That's funny about the snails. I think her betta tank, being only 8g, just got lower than the others and more importantly I think, it prob dropped faster and was down low longer than the others. There just wasn't enough water volume to maintain the heat. I didn't feed to help keep the nitrites and ammonia in check since the filters were off. I didn't feed Sunday night even tho power was on just in anticipation of the outtage. No food and less poop decomposing in the water with no way to run it thru the beneficial bacteria in the filters is all

Back
Top Bottom