Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

current

how much current is too much? i have an emperor 400 and a ug running on 2 power heads. plants in the middle of the front of my tank sway quite a lot. my tetras don't seem to mind it, but i've noticed the angels hanging out in spots where the current doesn't seem to be as strong, like in the top back corner behind the powerheads. if this is where an angel would normally chill, cool. but if it's because of my tank setup, i would, of course, like to change it to make life better for them.... any thoughts?
tank specs in sig
on a side note, i get my new digital camera thursday!! pics thursday night!

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
justrelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
Angels are not big fans of strong currents. They do enjoy a light current but not as strong as you are saying with 2 powerheads and an emperor 400. If you slow down the power heads quite a bit, it should be enough to make them happier.

I once had the same problem. Fish were Garfield Facing the front of the tank telling me to turn down the current.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have aqua-tech 170gph powerheads that i'm sure are quite a few years old. i'm failing to see a way to "slow them down". am i missing something obvious, or do i just have outdated powerheads? also, when using two (one in each top back corner of the tank) which direction should they be facing? should they create a circular current, or be facing each other? thanx!

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
justrelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

A really good way to slow down the current is to place a piece of screen in the intake of the power head. Kinda like putting an airator on a faucet, before the water screams out of the tap but after the airator it is more than tolerable. Try that it should help. Also some power heads have some kind of a flow regulator on them either on the top or bottom depends on the company

Tags
current

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com