Current Stock List...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Really leaning towards golden white clouds still. :) If not those cardinals .
Thoughts? Do youthink this tank would be too active for the gouramis still? I plan on tearing the 5 down when the otos are out of QT and making it into a trio of sparkling gouramis if they wouldn't do well in here.

AquStockImage.php

I don't have personal experience with both together (each separately) but I'd keep an eye on the gouramis and the keyholes. The gouramis stay like 3/4" and the keyholes get like 3"ish, but otherwise, it looks good. It's been awhile, and I think I've forgotten about the sparklings mostly, but at the store, they're usually mid-bottom, but that may be because they're stressed or something about too much flow from the filter, but if they do stay in that area, the white clouds stay mostly in the top 20% of the tank imo, so everything could work out.

I think the gouramis might be more bold and fun to watch in a small species tank, but that's JMO based on keeping them in a species tank. I haven't tried keeping them in a community.

That is what I am worrying about... if they will be too timid with all the other active fish in the 29. I have decided to tear down the 5 gallon regardless... but I will have to use it as QT until I can get one of those rubbermaid bins :D

Oh and I am back to this now lol
Does anyone think that there would be issues with the Cardinals and white clouds... since they will both probably be in the same stratas? I would really like this setup as it be very colorful.
AquStockImage.php

I will either be getting bandits or pandas depending on what cories my LFS wil have... I just feel like this might be a tad overstocked? I would like the tetras but not sure if they would work out in there

Imo, cardinals (at least mine and the ones I've seen) are mid-bottom fish, while white clouds are mid-top fish (generally top), so even if they were aggressive (which both are far from it) they would usually be in different zones.

You'll be fine, just maybe add 5-8ish fish at a time so you won't have a mini-cycle. I'd go with the pandas, but since I already stocked paleatus cories, I decided that this time around, I wanted to just have one set of cories (they'll school better) and added 4 more. In my current mindset, if you won't be able to stock all 10 pandas (here they only come occasionally) then I'd go with the bandits (they're cool too. they were some of my first fish)

I originally wanted to stock half bandits and half cories since 1) I am so indecisive, and 2) I wanted as much variety as possible. Still debating that. I will be adding the white clouds all at once since I am buying them from SM and HN1 , but then it will be a while before any more fish are added. I still need to get more plants and stuff in there as well.

What was your experience in mixing the cories Did they school well?

It was a long time ago, they were in a 10 gallon, and I maybe had 3-4. The most distinct thing I remember is they are less active than they are now. That may be because they were in a 10 gallon tank, or because there were less of them..."they" are not the same cories. If I remember correctly I added 3-4 pandas, and I want to say they generally stayed separate (not by distance but by group). Sorry, it was a long time ago ><. I think those might have been the fish I ended up cycling with... troopers :bawl:

I currently have 10 paleatus cories, and I'm finding that they usually split off into groups of 3-4 when they're browsing. My cardinals on the other hand, if they find they're outside 6 inches of each other, they scurry back together in a hurry :) I'm wondering if I add a few more cories, if it'll help the group dynamic?

They do fine, breed, and thrive in warmer water as well (80 F is breedable for them). They can take lower temperatures though, that is correct.

No gouramis now? I love my little guy, he's funny! But he is a dwarf gourami too, not a sparkling, and he gets along with the guppies and loaches just fine. :)

Well I think the sparklers wouldn't do well in there as I am planning on more active fish. I am going to tear down the 5 gallon and put a trio in there. I just think they would get too stressed out with all the action going on lol

I might try them out in there, but I will make sure I have the 5 ready for them just in case :)

BroncoFan, they do like cooler water, and I was a little worried about that at first but it seems they handle a wide range of temps :)

so is there a gourami that might be ok in there with a ram and wc's ? would a pair of gouramis= trouble with the ram? still wondering what to get

Back
Top Bottom