Custom ceramics anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I didn't want to post it in the classififeds because I want to get an idea of a market here before doing so.

My parents just purchased a ceramic shop and I have total access to it, and I have to do my part 8O

Would anyone be interested in custom ceramic caves, rocks, towers, castle or other things?

Would anyone be interested in ceramic "shelves" for building a ceramic reef, custom caves, or just to create that special effect you can't find anywhere else?

Let me know if 1) anyone would be interested 2) What types of things you might interested in 3) what type of pricing you think is reasonable. I know a basic price for a piece that is 8 inches tall is around $25 and that is ready to be painted. Pieces can be finished and painted in your choice of colors or they can be shipped fired once and ready to paint then you can get them fired at your local ceramic shop.

We do have some small ceramic "pots" that are around 2 inches in size that I think would work well for placing your plants and keeping them in place. If there is any interest in them, they are only $3-7 and that is completely finished.

Hopefully, as time permits and I learn to do more than clean them, I can provide a custom ceramic supply for the forum and maybe we will eventually start a web site.

We do have a patron that has just finished a piece that is a small castle and she has put many of her own works of art in her fish tanks so I should have reliable information from the books we have and her experience to make sure they are safe for your fishies 8) Any information members might have or experiences would be helpful also.

Mederators: Feel free to move this where it belongs if you don't want it here. I wasn't sure where to put it to start off.

I'd buy older style pots with the handles and such to break in half and use as decor. I'm not one for the fake castles and the likes. i'd also have unpainted, but sealed would be an advantage.
Bondcrete can be mixed in with or coated over concrete for ponds and is safe once cured. Also can perfectly seal ceramic pots so they don't get waterlogged.

I will watch for older stuff that is brought in but for now it is just new pouring. There is really no limits to what can be made but I have to find someone who wants the stuff to justify making a basic mold for pouring.

I will hopefully be starting to make some basic pieces and when I get them I will post some pictures to try and see if anyone is interested. The key is my dad is not gonna let me make molds at $35-200 a piece and not have a market. Go figure but who would have thought I would work my dad again :roll:

Anyway, interest in the idea is the real key so let me know if anyone might be interested so I at least have something to show my dad for a possible market.

Newest information from my dad. He says we will be working with clay, pottery clay and stonewear so if anyone is interested let me know.

Back
Top Bottom