Custom Light fixture suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b4tn

Aquarium Advice Regular
Its me again :D I have a 42 gallon tank that is close to 16" deep with about 3" of substrate. A PC 96w Bright kit has been shipped and I currently have two 30w NO lights. For the PC bright kit, how far should it be from the surface of the water? Should I just go with a box that sits on top of the aquarium?

I was also thininking. I have a set of 5000k and a set of 6700kNO bulbs. I was thinking about installing these along with the 6700k PC bulb in the same fixture. Running them at the same time would probably be way to much light but I was thinking of using the 5000k bulbs as a morning and dusk light.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

A box will be easiest, especially for the other lights. Mount the ballasts remotely if you are concerned about heat. I think lights on legs are cool, because it allows for appreciation of emersed and floating growth, easy access, and varied light distance (though I don't think you need to care too much about lighting distance at that depth).

Since you have pressurized CO2 and bulk ferts, you can experiment a lot with light and see its effect on your plants, instead of its effect on algae :) I increase lighting for 4 hours during the middle of the photoperiod, and am becoming more interested in short photoperiods with very intense lighting. Aesthetic effect of 5000K and 6700K for dawn is cool. I've mixed in blue moonlights for a purple tinge for dusk, then to "moonlight" -- it was pretty cool but very unneccessary ;)

czcz said:
I think lights on legs are cool, because it allows for appreciation of emersed and floating growth, easy access, and varied light distance (though I don't think you need to care too much about lighting distance at that depth).

yeah, I saw a tank today with the light about 12" above and it was really cool looking. I was thinking about building a shallow box to house the lights and just making some wood legs.

if you put the bulbs 12" above teh tank, you're going to lose about 40% of the light intensity, moving you down the 'wpg' ladder. Ideally you want the bulbs no more than 6" above the water, preferably 4"

I dont think the additional NO bulbs will be a problem.. they really will not be adding alot of more light.. once your at high light levels you can go much higher then 2.5wpg.. Ive seen 5wpg.. you should be fine.. adding the bulbs could give you a nice dawn and dusk effect with timmers.. :p

Back
Top Bottom