Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cut on finger

I have a cut on my finger. It's not bleeding but I just got it last night. Are my fish gonna be okay with an open wound like that? It won't harm my fish will it?

Old 08-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Na you should be fine, I got a cut from a sword a couple of months ago, and I did get a big gash, well, I was doing a water change and it opened, so my fish came running to try and see if something was dead, it was funny, they tried to attack my hand when I put it in, should be ok though

Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never been concerned with my cut giving the fish something. I'm more concerned working in tank water with an open wound for getting it infected. Your fish should be fine. Usually a cut closes is a couple of days if it s not that large. Just wash your hands and rinse well before and after working in tank and you should be fine. The one exception would be if you think there is any chance of your fish having TB.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 i was watching monsters inside me and a girl got cut in her tank, and ended up getting a flesh eating parasite from it....
Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
+1 i was watching monsters inside me and a girl got cut in her tank, and ended up getting a flesh eating parasite from it....
From the tank water!?! Scary stuff
Old 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I think I seen that one....good show really..
Old 08-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFishGirl View Post
I have a cut on my finger. It's not bleeding but I just got it last night. Are my fish gonna be okay with an open wound like that? It won't harm my fish will it?
I have to start by saying I am far from concerned for myself about catching anything from my fish. I've been around them long enough that I almost challenge any organism to get into my bloodstream and survive. LOL But that's for ME and me only.

Let me follow by saying that I am far from a Doom's Day, Henny Penny, the sky is falling, totally paranoid kind of person. I play the odds and the odds are in my favor that nothing is going to happen.

That all being said, recently, the odds have changed so the concern is more not what you can give the fish but what the fish can give to you. You may want to read this article:
Tropical fish diseases passed to humans: Humans at risk of impetigo, pneumonia from diseases to drug-resistant tropical fish | Mail Online
Old 08-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Off topic, but I was watching mo monsters inside me once, and saw a story about this Adventure tourist in the amazon. And he was peeing in the Amazon river, and out of nowhere, to his surprise, tiny fish swam up his, ummm, pee-stream into his, "you know", and got lodged half way in. He fell over in pain and had to be taken to the hospital for emergency surgery.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Off topic, but I was watching mo monsters inside me once, and saw a story about this Adventure tourist in the amazon. And he was peeing in the Amazon river, and out of nowhere, to his surprise, tiny fish swam up his, ummm, pee-stream into his, "you know", and got lodged half way in. He fell over in pain and had to be taken to the hospital for emergency surgery.
I think that was an episode of River Monsters. Here's the Wikipedia version:

Candiru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting fish.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Okay, for those of you who are concerned there is always this option:

Amazon.com: Disposable Obsterical Artifical Insemination Gloves, 4 ML: Sports & Outdoors

Or this

Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products - Search Results for gloves
Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also have one of those cuts that won't heal!!. Get a powder free surgical glove(latex). Put it on, use some sticky tape or rubber band and put it at the bottom of your finger. Carefully cut the glove around the bottom of your finger with some scissors. Your finger will now be sealed from the water....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8601.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	195633  
Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Or there is a FREE and SIMPLE FIX!!!! USE YOUR OTHER HAND!!!! wow, problems solved. I guess i dont understand what the big deal really is?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullnugget View Post
Or there is a FREE and SIMPLE FIX!!!! USE YOUR OTHER HAND!!!! wow, problems solved. I guess i dont understand what the big deal really is?
Big deals definitely but I wouldnt concern myself UNLESS! This is a wild caught tank THEN super glue the cut! Problem solved and no flesh eating parasites
Old 09-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I actually think its quite a serious topic.

+1 about concerns with wild vs domestic fish tanks.

I saw that episode of flesh eating paracites that girl caught, think she had to have her hand cut off because nothing would stop it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

If possible, cover the wound before doing any fish maintenance that might get it wet and possibly introduce an infection. You would do the same if you were gardening. As Andy pointed out, it is concerning that antibiotic resistant microbes (which have been making headlines in recent years) are now making their appearance in the aquarium trade.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about myself though! I was worried about the FISH! :P
Lol screw me I want my FISH to be safe! Haha
Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I can tell you that it is a big deal especially if you have a compromised immune system yourself. While it is rare to catch a disease from your pets, it IS possible. In my time in the pet trade, I had to get routine vaccinations against diseases the animals I was dealing with MIGHT be carrying. Whenever I had to go to my family Dr. because I was sick, the very first question I was asked was " What animals have you been playing with NOW!!?" lol (BTW, I used to breed and raise Monkeys and they could catch and give germs from me and to me.) With all that is now going on in the fish trade, I'd much rather be dealing with a tank full of wild fish than domesticated fish, with cuts on my hands or arms. The wild diseases should not be resistant to our common meds.

Now you know what the big deal really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFishGirl View Post
Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about myself though! I was worried about the FISH! :P
Lol screw me I want my FISH to be safe! Haha
As I had started my post, I wasn't trying to scare you but to educate you. While it is a noble attitude you are taking, once you get sick from a pet, you change your mind. Also, if you take it one step further, how will your fish fare if you get sick from them? Better to be careful that either side does not infect the other. I'm just sayin'
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I saw the same episode

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com