Cutting back on feeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I've always been one to over feed my tanks. I've always made up for it with extra water changes, once every 4-5 days rather than every 7-8 like a normal aquarist would do.

I've kept gravel as substrate for all my life up until a few months ago so I never really noticed any major nastyness on the substrate except during gravel vacc'ing. BUT, now that I've switched to sand, it's getting to be an eye sore.

I've been trying to cut back my feeding for the past few weeks, but I always feel bad because some of my fish are slower than the rest to come eat and I feel like they aren't getting in a good meal.

Basically, it's going on in the tanks that I use multiple types of food in. I.e. one tank "needs" both betta pellets, tropical flakes, algea wafers/veggies, and bottom feeder pellets.

What can/should I do? What is the "correct" amount to feed them, and how often should I feed

Oh I'm following this! I am guilty of the exact same thing! Trying to cater to everybody's differing needs = over feeding. Not over feeding = guilt! I clean my tanks twice a week for that reason (except the cold water tank which gets cleaned every 2 days).

I'm hoping that when my second 6ft tank is set up with sand substrate it will teach me to use restraint.

Same here they dont waste it they just poo more

You can try feeding ur tank in one place to get the fast fishes attention the try to put and sinking food or etc for the slow fishes some where else. My fishes has gotten to know me and they tend to know the color if there food so I just use it to draw all there attentions and I only feed until everyone is ready. You can also try feeding with the light off it might work and or mix the lights off with the first suggestion.

Feeding Your Fish

Hello Oo...

Most aquarium fish are small with very small stomachs. It takes next to nothing to fill something that's roughly the size of one of their eyes. If you feed too much you'll eventually have heavy, unhealthy fish and water chemistry problems.

I feed 2 times a week, a little more often if I have fry in the tank. I feed mostly frozen, like brine and Mysis shrimp, plankton, krill and beef heart. These have two ingredients: The frozen animal and water. Sometimes, I'll feed some vegetable biscuits and minced garlic. Flaked foods have additives that extend the shelf life of the product. These aren't the best choice for your fish and the phosphate in these foods can cause algae to grow if the fish don't eat everything. Check the contents of the food container. If there's an unfamiliar name, pass on it.

Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without eating at all, so if you feed just a little, they'll spend more time swimming around the tank looking for a leftover. They'll get their exercise and you'll have a much cleaner tank.

Pretty simple.

B

I feed in the same spot and the fish know right where to go. Try adding a tiny bit of food, let them eat it and then add a little more. You just have to "retrain" yourself from having a heavy hand. I know it's harder to do than people would think but over time you will get it down. Then if you feed lightly in the morning you can add just a tiny pinch in the evening. I tend to do that and it works quite well and I'm not overfeeding at any given time.

Back
Top Bottom