Cutting holes in clay pots and need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to cut some holes in clay pots for my apistos. I am using a nickel as a template for a circle because that seems to be a perfect size but I am having trouble cutting the hardened clay. Have any of you done this and what would you recommend? I tried using a Dremel but the bit I used wasn't necessarily intended for clay/ceramics/ Is there one available that would work? What I need to do basically is drill a hole through the pot, switch bits and start cutting at the hole I drilled. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dremel recommends using a tungsten carbide cutting blade for the pots. I picked on up at the hardware store for like 6 bucks. Have patience, and take your time...

I used a diamond (I assume coated) cut-off wheel to cut my clay cave. I was the only attachment that I had that made any progress.

though I didn't try tungsten carbide...

Seems like the diamond might be my best bet since it is one of the hardest materials known. I might try the tungsten carbide too seeing how they are relatively inexpensive. How common is the tungsten carbide blade for the Dremel? Hopefully it will be easy to find. Thanks to both of you for your help and suggestions.

Your gonna need water to cool the blade. Its most important with diamond blades. Diamond blades are diamond dust embbed in metal. If the metal gets hot, as it will, it becomes soft and the diamond dust gets ripped out. Carbide blades need cooling too, to prevent them from getting soft. Either one will work.

Back
Top Bottom