Cuttlebone and Betas/Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cre8byconstance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read that adding cuttlebone in with snails is beneficial for their shells. My snail is in a 5gal tank with a beta fish. Will cuttlebone harm my beta?

I had a cuttlebone in my tanks for months and never saw a snail even take a nibble. Focus on feeding foods high in calcium and keeping your PH over 7.2.

I had a cuttlebone in my tanks for months and never saw a snail even take a nibble. Focus on feeding foods high in calcium and keeping your PH over 7.2.

Thanks! I've only had Apollo (my mystery snail) 2 days, so I'm just starting to learn about them. I appreciate the help!

Blanched kale and spinach. Big snail fav.

Perfect. I have a planted aquarium, so there should be plenty to eat. I also have algae wafers, which I got for my nerite snail (in a different tank) because I was worried about him going hungry. Nerite snails like spinach too, so I'll get them both a tasty treat to celebrate Apollo moving in with my beta!

I love cuttlebones. Snails might not eat it, but, if the pH gets low, it will start to dissolve and raise the pH. A good barometer.

Back
Top Bottom