Cuvier birchir

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's rather small compared to other hobby-suitable birchirs, so why does it require the largest tank?
Liveaquaria says the ornate birchir (over 2 feet) needs a min tank size of 50g while the Cuvier birchir (8 inches) needs a tank over 90 gallons.
False information or is there a specific reason for this?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello!

LiveAquaria has never been the most reliable way of defining a tank requirement for a fish haha. You are correct. I would honest tell you that those requirements should be flipped really.

Although Polypterus senegalus (cuvier's bichir, senegal bichir, etc) does not grow very large (comparatively to other bichirs that is) they will top out at about 10 inches (or at least that has been my experience...granted I never took a measuring tape to them). Combine this with the fact that the fish is predatory, will mean that the fish has a decently high bioload. This is why I would say a 50g tank is preferred. When you first get one, it most likely wont be any larger than 2-3 inches. It is perfectly acceptable to house this is a smaller tank, but just have plans to move it as it grows for the health of your bichir as well as any fish you choose to house with it.

Let me know if you need anything else as I have kept a variety of Polypterus :)

Back
Top Bottom