cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a lot of green cyano growing un my PFS and was wondering how to get rid of it? I manually remove it but it comes back every time. Thank you!

Ahh, the good ole' algae question! Well there are many ways you can get rid of algae. This just depends on what works for you. You could turn off all of your light. Lights are the cause for things to grow. If you don't have lights, then the algae doesn't grow. This would not work of course if you had live plants in the tank. You could add some type of algae removing chemical. Many people have used this metthod and it works, the problem is that you are covering up the probelm. How often do you feed? I feed my fish, all of my fish, once every three days. I feed algae tablets, brineshrimp, and flake. All of this is feed on the same day. If you have a sump, you could add a refugium on the setup and add some more plants such as java fern. This plant is quite hardy and will eat up your extra nutrients in the water. If you do not have a sump, you can add a DIY hang on the back refugium. These are great if you have a random filter lying around and really need a place to put it. These are just some suggestions and I would be willing to give some more if need be! Good luck with your tank! Hope this helps :)

xtra51 said:
Ahh, the good ole' algae question! Well there are many ways you can get rid of algae. This just depends on what works for you. You could turn off all of your light. Lights are the cause for things to grow. If you don't have lights, then the algae doesn't grow. This would not work of course if you had live plants in the tank. You could add some type of algae removing chemical. Many people have used this metthod and it works, the problem is that you are covering up the probelm. How often do you feed? I feed my fish, all of my fish, once every three days. I feed algae tablets, brineshrimp, and flake. All of this is feed on the same day. If you have a sump, you could add a refugium on the setup and add some more plants such as java fern. This plant is quite hardy and will eat up your extra nutrients in the water. If you do not have a sump, you can add a DIY hang on the back refugium. These are great if you have a random filter lying around and really need a place to put it. These are just some suggestions and I would be willing to give some more if need be! Good luck with your tank! Hope this helps :)
this isn't algae, this is bacteria. I tried leaving the lights off for 3 days, but it just comes back when the lights are back on. :(

Right now i am dealing with the red version. Over the years, I have tried all the recommended methods, such as increasing flow, altering light, etc. Those things never really worked for me although sometimes after removing it manually it wouldn't come back. Erthromyacin does work, but basically something is wrong if it takes a hold.

This happened to me last year this is what I did: I used: quarantine tank, hot water, erythromicyn, bleach (I know toxic to fish but works)
I transferred the fish and filter to quarantine tank. Then I threw out my gravel and gave everything a very hot water and bleach bath. Then I rinsed everything under hot water. I then refilled my tank and added the fish and filter. Then I added the erythromicyn. Two weeks after I was finished treating with erythromicyn I added new gravel. Depending on how bad your algae is you might new to repeat more than once this is why you wait to add the gravel incase the algae returns.

This is what I did and it worked very well (only needed to treat once)

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Back
Top Bottom