Cycle Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DawgFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
36 gal Bow front
3 zebra danio (1")
3 red way platy (2")
2 Opaline Gouramis (3")
2 Clown loach (1.5 ") -these guys will be moved into another, bigger tank
Rena Filstar XPM
Submerged Heater
Bubble Block

Tank 11 weeks old. Tank cycled at 7 weeks with a Fish In Cycle (3 zebra danios)

For last 3 week I have managed Nitrogen with 2 PWC (50%) every other day. Nitrites have dropped to 0, and have not returned. Nitrates are 0. pH = 7.6

Is there a problem with the ceramic bio rings? Why won't bacteria growth occurring?

Why don't you think there is BB growing? Why are you doing so many big WC's? With doing that many I'm not surprized you have all 0 readings. You can just do 1 50% WC weekly unless you are having high ammonia, nitrite, or nitrates over 20ppm. Let you tank go a week and maybe you'll get some readings other than 0 to see where your cycle is.

36 gal Bow front
3 zebra danio (1")
3 red way platy (2")
2 Opaline Gouramis (3")
2 Clown loach (1.5 ") -these guys will be moved into another, bigger tank
Rena Filstar XPM
Submerged Heater
Bubble Block

Tank 11 weeks old. Tank cycled at 7 weeks with a Fish In Cycle (3 zebra danios)

For last 3 week I have managed Nitrogen with 2 PWC (50%) every other day. Nitrites have dropped to 0, and have not returned. Nitrates are 0. pH = 7.6

Is there a problem with the ceramic bio rings? Why won't bacteria growth occurring?

What is your ammonia reading? What is making you think you have a problem? You have 0 nitrites which is what you want, its not unheard of for people to not have nitrates. Sorry, I'm not understanding. :ermm:

my ammo is 2ppm. I was told that all fish in nature get constant cycles of freshwater and the freq. pwc's do not impact the nitrogen cycle, so I expected ammo to drop. but they are remaining consistently high.

I figured that there should be a detectable amount of nitrites if BB was present. I try cutting back on the pwc's. should I control ammo levels with Prime?

Your ammo is very high & yes water changes are needed to bring it down. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & the ph? If not I would. You should always use Prime when changing the water, Prime ONLY detoxifies NOT remove. NitrItes should be 0 like the ammonia but you want ntirAtes <40. When did you add all of the fish & did you add all at once, minus the ones you cycled with? If your tank is cycled you shouldn't have 2 for ammonia unless you're overstocked or have the wrong filtration. What gph is your filter rated for? Are you doing a really good vacuuming? How much are your feeding?

Thanks S!

I added them in 2 groups 4 days apart. I feed them daily 6 out of 7 days. I have tested my tap water and the pH was 8. my filter is rated for a 75 g tank.

DawgFish said:
Thanks S!

I added them in 2 groups 4 days apart. I feed them daily 6 out of 7 days. I have tested my tap water and the pH was 8. my filter is rated for a 75 g tank.

Was there ammonia, nitrites or nitrates in your tap? Some people have those in their tap water. Could be the fish were added too quickly so it caused a problem. You might cut back on the feedings. Some people feed every other day, you could do that for a while & see if that makes any difference with your ammo.

Back
Top Bottom