Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I'm at the point in my cycle where the ammonia zeros out within 12 hours and the nitrities are sky high. I keep dosing more ammonia (3-4ppm), but is that correct? Should I stop the ammonia until the nitrite zeros? Or is it not affecting the nitrite bacterial development?

No you are doing it right, ammonia is needed to keep the cycle going. You are in the nitrite spike. Moving along exactly as it should.

You should probably do a water change to get the nitrites into readable level, it will not effect the cycle but then you can at least know what is going on, whether or not they are going down or up. At least that is what I read, and it worked for me. :D

With no fish in the tank you do not have to do a water change. The nitrite level only matters when it zeros out. I have done several fishless cycles and do water changes at the end of the cycle before I add fish. You could do a water change if you wanted but it isn't necessary.

When you do the water change before adding fish, how long before do you do it? Do you need to do another test prior to adding? Will STRESS COAT cause any issues? I've heard not to use Ammonia blocking water conditioners.

Just want a sense of the timeline so I don't add too early

HOW much ammonia should I be adding? Either I'm not putting in enough or it's zero'ing REALLY fast! (55 gallons)

Last edited:
I'm at the point in my cycle where the ammonnia and the nitrite have zeroed out.

My plans are as follows:

Monday Morning - Add 2ppm Ammonia
Tuesday Morning - Test for 0's
Tuesday Evening - Water Change (30%?)
Wed Morning - Re-Test
Wed Evening - Add 12 Juvies

Any commentS?

I would be too impatient! Monday night test for zeros, if zero 30% pwc add 12 juvies.... <grin> If you get zeros quickly the tank if ready for fish IMO. PWC so the nitrates are <10ppm.

Last edited:
I won't have the fish available to me until Wed. I'm ordering today and they will be at my LFS on Wed.

I did the PWC last night and tested this morning. Nitrites were up to 1ppm. How is this possible?

IF the numbers zero out again by tonight, does it even make sense to just add four (instead of 12)? The LFS's distributor only got one species in for me this week. I have to wait till next Wed for the other 2 species.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom