Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javier Alexis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had been running my tank without the carbon in the filter because the tank was under ick cure .. So my question is : when I put the new carbon cartridge, this will harm my fishes?

The carbon will not harm the fish in any way or hurt the cycle as long as you rinse it well before it goes into the filter when it fist gets wet you will hear a fizzing as it absorbs all the resolved o2 from the water, it's best to dip it I the water you take out of the tank with a water change so you don't risk any chlorine hitching a ride back to the tank

FYI, you don't need carbon, if you want it than that's fine. I figured I would just let you know. Carbon is not necessary, have three tanks zero of which have carbon.

Using Chemical Medium

I had been running my tank without the carbon in the filter because the tank was under ick cure .. So my question is : when I put the new carbon cartridge, this will harm my fishes?

Hello Jav...

You don't need to replace the chemical medium. Just change a good amount of tank water every week, say at least 40 percent. The water changes will replace the carbon medium. They do a much better job of keeping the tank water pure than carbon filtration.

B

(The cartridge bring the carbon inside)

Thanks! I will submerge it in the water I going to take out

Back
Top Bottom