Cycle to end soon .. now to stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
What should be the first fish i get? .... im thinking some zebra danios ... neons or cardinals .... and cory cats ..... would i be able to add all these at the same time to my 29gal.

Im hoping to add them either this sat or sun pending everything with my cycle goes good cause my nitrites are almost down to 0 today :)

TIA

Ray

I like to play it safe. I'd add the danios in first and then wait a few days to a week until I add the cories, and then the neon/cardinal tetras last.

ok .... also after i add these im thinking of getting a few gourimi and maybe a small pleco .... will this be close to my limit and will all these fish be ok together?

That population will work just fine.....I've had that exact setup minus the pleco

Get three cories as they like to school....the same for the neons,i've got four in my 29g.

I've read here that the gourimi need to be either one or three for territorial reasons,but I've got a pair and they are great tank mates.

Also....I was told that some gourimi are more agressive than others at the pet store.They had them seperated between semiagressive/community tanks.
Now,I don't know how true that is...but I wanted the ones in the community side anyway,so it was easy advice to follow.

HTH

Fatz

Thanks for the help ... but the pleco will go fine with these guys? ... also what different types of food should i buy seeing as how i have never owned fish before and dont know the proper things to feed them ..

Here is the final list of what i will get probably:

3 cory cats
1 pleco
3 blue gourimis
4 zebra danios
5-6 cardinals or neons
plus some snails and shrimp

is this at my limit? or could i add more or take away?

TIA

Ray

Using the ol' in/gallon rule I'd say your right at or sightly above 1 inch/gallon...with the major question left is which pleco?Your going to have to make a small one (once full grown) imo due to both tank size and bioload.

I would also add the pleco last so you can get a feel for the population/tanksize before making the addition.

As mentioned,start with the danios.

I think your good to go....

I think you are fine with that stocking list. The pleco will be fine. Try and find a bristlenose/rubblerlip pleco as they stay small and are cool to watch. Remember to add fish slowly.

As for the gouramis, you will have to play their agression by ear. Some will be mean, some will not. You may get agressors and you may get wimps. ;)

I'm not sure what you'll be able to find locally but where Ilive, I have watched the pleco supply completely dry up - only things I see any more for sale are commons. :(

Back
Top Bottom