Cycled tank still has small amount of ammonia at times, help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
75g tank, heavily planted
Co2, ferts, planted plus lighting
Koralia nano 425
Eheim pro 3 2075 filter

I have been having an issue were my fish would random flash in my tank but show no other signs of anything. Been going on for months. I have tried all sorts of things to resolve it with no avail.

Finally it thought more about the nitrogen cycle and if it was possible that ammonia is not being converted to nitrates quick enough and could be irritation to my fish. No deaths though and not flashing all the time either.

Well this afternoon I saw a few fish flashing randomly and decided to check for ammonia nitrites and nitrates. Sure enough I got a reading of .25 or less ammonia. I think I have finally found the cause for my flashing fish.

How can I ensure that my biological filtration is up to snuff? Or is my only option to reduce my stock? Please help.

Ty.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Get another filter..more room for bio media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The API ammonia test will often be hard to distinguish .25 and 0 ppm. Look through the bottom of the test into a light; that helps me get a better idea of the "true" value the test is reading.

do you test after water changes? because a lot of liquid test kits show very slight positives after using dechlor. You can test this by testing your water pre and post dechlor.

Back
Top Bottom