Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, The point of cycling is to build up good bacteria to break down food, fish waste, plant matter, and other decaying stuff. So no it is not. There is not alot of good bacteria in the water as much as in a filter. If you put a filter and cycled the filter from a mature tank then you cut your cycling down quite a bit. So no, it does not have enough bacteria in just the water to auto cyle your tank.

alright thanks... am already cycling with filter media and also have flat rock and dw from a mature tank

The stuff will help but the filter is really what contains the good stuff.

No, I am saying that you can't do the instant cycle thing without a filter that has been cycled from another mature tank. The good bacteria will build up no matter what with or without decor. But the decor will give a place for the bacteria to be.

its ok... the knowlege is the most important thing :) i used to be 1 of those people who didnt cycle and just bought stuff and threw it in... now im getting mts 30 55 and now a 90

Just keep testing your water and be patient, it'll happen, but it takes a while no matter what.
You can turn your heater up and add an airstone. That sometimes helps the process move along.

did you take a cartridge from a filter on an existing tank and use it in your new one? i used 3 filters from existing tanks on my 125 and after only 4 days, it is cycled... not to mention using rocks that i had in other tanks too :)

yes i have 4 pads from hob filters from my 55 and 30.. hoping it will cycle my 90 quickly

Back
Top Bottom