Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
go fishless for sure. such a better piece of mind when you add your first stock to the tank, you dont have to worry as much about survival rate as your bacteria will be available in abundance.

i used ace brand ammonia as well, they call it "janitorial strength", and it worked perfectly.

good luck.

I know you've heard the truth here at AA. I cycled my freshwater tank the fishless way. It cycled in 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't rush out and buy fish, yet I kept a watchful eye on the tank, testing params once a day for about another week just to be sure. And, sure enough, all is well. Go fishless. It's the only way.

Ok thanks for all your advice I'm going to ace today hopefully I'll find some so I cam start the cycle! How much do I need? And how much is it I only have 12 dollars. And also are these the ingredients I'm looking for, ammonia and water?

I bought ammonia at a place called The Dollar Tree. The brand was " Pine Glo" ammonia. No surfactants or perfumes... and it cost a dollar plus tax.

I agree, I've heard some good arguments, or should I say convincing arguments, from pet store employees as well as online stuff touting using fish to cycle. I'm cycling my tank now without fish as a result of crappy advice. Frustrating.

I'm thinking DFT meant that her fish might have died when she was cycling with fish. If so the I'm sorry for your loss. If not then please elaborate lol.

That was indeed vague...yes, I'm now cycling without fish as a result of using fish the first time and killing almost all of them (one I put in our pond, and is doing well!) as a result of rotten advice. Thanks...I was bummed but I'll do it better this time.

That sucks! I'm glad I asked you guys about it or I would have been using fish cycling too!
That was indeed vague...yes, I'm now cycling without fish as a result of using fish the first time and killing almost all of them (one I put in our pond, and is doing well!) as a result of rotten advice. Thanks...I was bummed but I'll do it better this time.

I went to Petco too and got the same idiotic advice, to add insult to injury the guys sold me giant danios, and redtail tinfoil barbs for my 20gal (which I now know well get WAY too big:()

My tank has not cycled after 2 months and I am doing daily 25% PWC to keep the ammonia down still and lost 1 barb. I wish I had gone the fishless cycling way but I didnt do my research properly and I didn't know. :censor:

I will never listen to the idiots at Petco again!

Back
Top Bottom