Cycling a tank - is it necessary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where on earth has this 4ppm come from? I just read an article that attempts to explain how to do a fish-less cycle by maintaining ammonia at 4ppm per day until the BB develop enough to convert all that ammonia to 0.

Firstly, conversion isn't instant, so if you test after an hour, you are unlikely to have 0 ammonia. Secondly - that is a hell of a lot of ammonia!

Ok here goes with a calculation

Ammonia at 4ppm in 100 litres = 0.4g of ammonia.

For fish to produce 0.4g of ammonia per day, you would need to be feeding just under 134g of food PER DAY.

Lets take carp as an example (as they have a high food conversion rate - 100% in the right conditions). 13.4g of food is enough to maintain the health of (but not to grow) a biomass of 1.34kg of carp (i.e. 1% of their bodyweight in food per day). How many of us would keep a carp 1 ounce short of 3lb in a 100 litre tank? It can be done... easily, but as aquarists, we wouldnt would we?

So why are we dosing ammonia at a rate vastly higher than will ever be maintained by a recommended stocking of fish? If we wanted to do a fish'less cycle on a 15 gallon tank in order to stock a full recommended stocking of, say neon tetras, we would have to spend a lot of money on a very accurate miligram scale!

No wonder the fish-less method takes up to 8 weeks or more! Those poor BB!!

The 4ppm is an arbitrary number that was picked because it is absolutely overkill for most aquarium stocking situations. It isn't a set in stone number but rather one that has been generally accepted to work. The huge number of 4ppm is the main reason that when the cycle is finished then the full stocking of the tank can be added because if the stocking of your tank is producing more than that there is an issue.

Personally if I have to do a cycle for any other fresh water tanks it will be a fish in cycle although I have enough filter media between all of my tanks that I can just skip that part entirely. However the fishless cycle is a great help to newer aquarists that just aren't used to keeping tanks.

I have questioned how the bacteria lives in the bottles myself to be honest and I am going to contradict some of my own comments by saying this, because I have said that if there is not enough ammonia to support a population of BB, then some will die off until a population is established to cope with the ammonia that is present. The fact is, many bacteria will go into a kind of dormancy for a certain length of time, before actually dying off, or 're-animating if ammonia becomes available again. I would suggest that the bottled BB has had the environment manipulated so it remains viable for longer periods - I will be attempting to research this in the near future, although I'm not sure manafacturers are going to be very forthcoming with their methods!

Lol, that's my understanding as well.

I did find this article which I found interesting (from another post I made). I've put a link to the article below.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/nitrogen_cycle.html

"There's a lot of confusion among aquarists about nitrifying bacteria. This is due in large part to the recent emergence of a wide variety of bacterial products claiming to be nitrifying aids. Some ammonia oxidizing bacteria can revive more quickly than others.
After 342 days of ammonia starvation, the AOB N. europaea, was shown to have an immediate response to the addition of ammonia as measured by nitrite production, without initial protein synthesis." ***342 days! - I think I can go about 4 hrs).***

Also

"4 ppm is a typical fishless cycling target whether using the fish food method or ammonia. Higher (7 ppm) or lower (3 ppm) is also fine for healthy bacterial colony growth (based on mine and others in the maintenance communities experience).
Regardless of fishless cycling method chosen, the bio load is always going to be in flux (higher or lower). When higher is needed, nitrifying bacteria double in population in 18 to 24 hours. When less are needed, they die back and are consumed by each other." ***this seems a bit quick?. Maybe? I've had a mini-cycle with over 5ppm ammonia take at least a week to go through). ***

So why are we dosing ammonia at a rate vastly higher than will ever be maintained by a recommended stocking of fish? If we wanted to do a fish'less cycle on a 15 gallon tank in order to stock a full recommended stocking of, say neon tetras, we would have to spend a lot of money on a very accurate miligram scale!

No wonder the fish-less method takes up to 8 weeks or more! Those poor BB!!

Hmm, I'm assuming that without a daily water change ammonia is cumulative if you're bb aren't yet up to scratch? I don't know here - I have exceeded 4ppm ammonia before although it was probably slightly less than week before I realized. I've just tried holding a measuring cup up to the tank so I could "picture" how many fish would fit in to try and get an idea of weight but I'm told this looks weird. :whistle:

Slightly off topic but some fish are recommended for a more "mature" tank. So I guess not only fully cycled by however means but also with that extra something. How does that work? Super-cycling??

Hmm, I'm assuming that without a daily water change ammonia is cumulative if you're bb aren't yet up to scratch? I don't know here - I have exceeded 4ppm ammonia before although it was probably slightly less than week before I realized. I've just tried holding a measuring cup up to the tank so I could "picture" how many fish would fit in to try and get an idea of weight but I'm told this looks weird. :whistle:

Slightly off topic but some fish are recommended for a more "mature" tank. So I guess not only fully cycled by however means but also with that extra something. How does that work? Super-cycling??

The fish that are recommended for a more mature tank is, in my opinion to give new aquarists a suggested time frame before they are experienced enough to handle a sensitive fish or at least that is my take on it.

If you can afford the equipment sensitive enough to measure the amount of ammonia discharged by three neons, then I want to be your best friend :D

Haha yes the neon comment was a bit tongue in cheek and the point I was aiming towards is that there would be no way I would dose 4ppm ammonia. As I mentioned, we are never gonna know exactly what are fish can produce. I would just dose every small amount. I don't even know how much in volume of liquid ammonia 4ppm is. This would allow the bb to grow at a steady rate and would reduce problems of 'stalling'

Having said that, I wouldn't do a fishless cycle anyway. Like you said before, the problem is education. I will be the first to admit that my first tank was a place where fish were brought to die. This is because I wasn't aware of the need to establish a nitrogen cycle. It still upsets me now. But eventually my tank balanced itself out and I got it right even though I didn't know how or why. I stopped replacing dead fish. And the bacteria must have fell back enough to cope with the boiload of the tank. What upset me more was that my LFS saw me coming in every other day (was only young) for new fish and never questioned my water or why my fish were dying, just kept selling. I haven't been in there since.

I also can't understand why you would want to stock a full load of fish all at once. Isn't going to the shop to buy a new fish one of the most exciting parts of the hobby? Individual preference I guess. :)

And listen, I'm really not having a go at people who do/or prefer fishless cycling as it obviously works for them or they wouldn't do it. But IMO fish in, done correctly, will be my chosen method.

Lol, that's my understanding as well.

I did find this article which I found interesting (from another post I made). I've put a link to the article below.

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle | Cycling Methods | Ammonia & Nitrates

"There's a lot of confusion among aquarists about nitrifying bacteria. This is due in large part to the recent emergence of a wide variety of bacterial products claiming to be nitrifying aids. Some ammonia oxidizing bacteria can revive more quickly than others.
After 342 days of ammonia starvation, the AOB N. europaea, was shown to have an immediate response to the addition of ammonia as measured by nitrite production, without initial protein synthesis." ***342 days! - I think I can go about 4 hrs).***

Also

"4 ppm is a typical fishless cycling target whether using the fish food method or ammonia. Higher (7 ppm) or lower (3 ppm) is also fine for healthy bacterial colony growth (based on mine and others in the maintenance communities experience).
Regardless of fishless cycling method chosen, the bio load is always going to be in flux (higher or lower). When higher is needed, nitrifying bacteria double in population in 18 to 24 hours. When less are needed, they die back and are consumed by each other." ***this seems a bit quick?. Maybe? I've had a mini-cycle with over 5ppm ammonia take at least a week to go through). ***

My understanding is that it multiplies even quicker! I will have to research a bit more. Whatever the case, 4ppm or 5ppm is still extremely high.

Haha yes the neon comment was a bit tongue in cheek and the point I was aiming towards is that there would be no way I would dose 4ppm ammonia. As I mentioned, we are never gonna know exactly what are fish can produce. I would just dose every small amount. I don't even know how much in volume of liquid ammonia 4ppm is. This would allow the bb to grow at a steady rate and would reduce problems of 'stalling'

Having said that, I wouldn't do a fishless cycle anyway. Like you said before, the problem is education. I will be the first to admit that my first tank was a place where fish were brought to die. This is because I wasn't aware of the need to establish a nitrogen cycle. It still upsets me now. But eventually my tank balanced itself out and I got it right even though I didn't know how or why. I stopped replacing dead fish. And the bacteria must have fell back enough to cope with the boiload of the tank. What upset me more was that my LFS saw me coming in every other day (was only young) for new fish and never questioned my water or why my fish were dying, just kept selling. I haven't been in there since.

I also can't understand why you would want to stock a full load of fish all at once. Isn't going to the shop to buy a new fish one of the most exciting parts of the hobby? Individual preference I guess. :)

And listen, I'm really not having a go at people who do/or prefer fishless cycling as it obviously works for them or they wouldn't do it. But IMO fish in, done correctly, will be my chosen method.

Good thinking buddy. Unfortunately, there are people selling fish to the public that don't have a clue!!

1 cubic metre = 1 000 000 ml, so 1ppm would be 1ml in 1000l or 0.001ml per litre

4ppm is 0.004ml per litre - 0.4ml in 100 litres.

I wonder how many aquarists have got that wrong!

"Haha yes the neon comment was a bit tongue in cheek and the point I was aiming towards is that there would be no way I would dose 4ppm ammonia. As I mentioned, we are never gonna know exactly what are fish can produce.

All the more reason to dose to 4ppm:facepalm: if you have no idea what bioload your fish are outputting once added, why take the chance of exposing them to ammonia? am I stupid or is it just yme?

you mention about the pleasure of going to the lfs to buy fish, yes thats a nice day out to the lfs but it doesn't work for all fish, ANY cichlid keeper like myself could tell you. Try adding almost any cichs to semi established tanks and they'll die quicker than ammonia would take. Adding all the fish at once divides the chance of death by aggression and Is IMO needed when wanting to stock aggressive fish that will not tolerate newcomers.

However, whoever wants to argue a fish in cycle in humane isnt completely right either as fish will still be exposed to ammonia regardless of the amount.

And the bacteria must have fell back enough to cope with the boiload of the tank. Fell back? you ment grown to the bioload.

Having said that, I wouldn't do a fishless cycle anyway. Like you said before, the problem is education Yes, yes it is a problem, a big one. Some think they know it all after keeping afew neons. They have really no idea and nothing to back it up except their ego and arrogance (not aiming this at you)

You argue you that fishin cycle is now your chosen method but you lost countless fish from adding them to an uncycled tank in the first place and to me, that makes no sense. Where ive always cycled before and have never lost a single fish due to ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Last edited:
Nah, it seems optimal conditions may allow doubling every 7hours, but mostly 15 to 20 hours is the norm!

My understanding is that it multiplies even quicker! I will have to research a bit more. Whatever the case, 4ppm or 5ppm is still extremely high.

Indeed, that's a fact. regardless of how long or longer it may take. 4ppm is a general figure that ensures safety for your fish once added.

Last edited:
Nah, it seems optimal conditions may allow doubling every 7hours, but mostly 15 to 20 hours is the norm!

!! Would that be in a high oxygen environment that you get optimal conditions? I've seen a lot of work on seeding, etc to speed up the cycle but not so much on improving the environmental conditions for them. Or am I just over thinking it and they don't really care. I'll have my ABBA CDs ready to just in case....

Just want to comment that I see 2 very different recommendations when setting up a display or a quarantine tank.

For the display: wait for the cycle to compete before adding any fish . Use expensive equipment etc...

For the quarantine: simply add a sponge filter that as been sitting in an established tank for a week and you are ready to go.

Why the double standard?

In my experience setting up various tanks putting media from an established system is the bulletproof way to start a tank. You just have to monitor closely your system and add livestock slowly and scale filtration capacity accordingly, but trust the bacteria: they multiply fast.

Pip you are a brave man for opening up this subject. I have been in the hobby about as long as you and I am in complete agreement with you, I do fish in cycling. I think fish less cycling is a waste of times and does no more for your fish than if you add them a few at a times. I fish less cycled tank does a mini cycle when a bunch of fish are added. A fish in cycle does the same thing. Start slow and don't add to many fish at once and you will have happy long living fish.

I love the ability to gain information online but when a certain subject is preached long enough on forums it becomes fact like fish less cycle is the best and more humane way.

Just want to comment that I see 2 very different recommendations when setting up a display or a quarantine tank.

For the display: wait for the cycle to compete before adding any fish . Use expensive equipment etc...

For the quarantine: simply add a sponge filter that as been sitting in an established tank for a week and you are ready to go.

Why the double standard?

In my experience setting up various tanks putting media from an established system is the bulletproof way to start a tank. You just have to monitor closely your system and add livestock slowly and scale filtration capacity accordingly, but trust the bacteria: they multiply fast.

I've also wondered about this. Thanks for bringing it up.

All the more reason to dose to 4ppm:facepalm: if you have no idea what bioload your fish are outputting once added, why take the chance of exposing them to ammonia? am I stupid or is it just yme?

I think what is being examined is where did 4ppm come from and is it set in stone? Or did I lose track? Anyways, we seem to agree 4ppm is a high number. Could 3ppm work as I've seen in articles? Or can we actually calculate this?

For example I've seen stocking rates on a new tank should increase but not enough to overload the bb (ignoring cichlids and stock timing for semi-aggressive fish for the moment). What does that mean though. e.g. So if the bb can basically double in 24hrs, does that mean max. increase to a stocked tank would be double the fish weight in 24hrs? So I could start with one fish and be fully stocked in a week - this doesn't seem right.

Another question that seems pertinent, but has been skimmed over is what is the consequences of building up too much BB during the fishless cycle?

I believe BB that does no get enough ammonia, doesn't die, but goes dormant, and can revive again. In that scenario, starved BB isn't necessarily such a bad thing, and it doesn't really matter if you build up more BB than you need.

But apparently, dormant BB is much more vulnerable to being preyed upon by heterotrophic bacteria - and that sounds like a bad thing.

I'm curious exactly how this process works. When BB goes dormant in response to lack of food, are the dormant BB areas spread throughout the filter, or only along the inside edges where less ammonia would reach? Would you get a situation where there are pockets of dormant and vulnerable BB, attacked by heterotropic bacteria? Would the presence of dormant BB make it easier for heterotrophic bacteria -- which after all, compete for oxygen -- to take over the filter and smother non-dormant BB?

Or is it just a case that normal filter maintenance - swirling it in old tank water once a week - would get rid of the heterotrophs and save the dormant BB?

Why I'm asking this, is because this is the only negative I can see to building up too much BB for your tank's bio load.

Why the double standard?

I was talking from scratch without seeding or adding an existing filter. Adding established media is essentially instantly cycling the tank, if you were to add established filter you would have no reason to cycle using ammonia as the bacteria is already there. I would do it for a week anyway to let things settle to makes sure and if your water test results are ok then all is good.. but that's another story.

Pip you are a brave man for opening up this subject. I have been in the hobby about as long as you and I am in complete agreement with you, I do fish in cycling. I think fish less cycling is a waste of times and does no more for your fish than if you add them a few at a times. I fish less cycled tank does a mini cycle when a bunch of fish are added. A fish in cycle does the same thing. Start slow and don't add to many fish at once and you will have happy long living fish.

I love the ability to gain information online but when a certain subject is preached long enough on forums it becomes fact like fish less cycle is the best and more humane way.

It gets preached because a lot of AA members are perfectionists towards their fish. In no way are fish in cycles unfair(IF DONE 100% Fairly) but fishless is kinder however you spin it. Fishless cycle is NOT a waste of time.. Its a more humane way, seeing as you aren't exposing fish to ammonia or nitrite and that particular point cant be argued. Obviously exposure can be limited by large and regular water changes.

I think what is being examined is where did 4ppm come from and is it set in stone? Or did I lose track? Anyways, we seem to agree 4ppm is a high number. Could 3ppm work as I've seen in articles? Or can we actually calculate this?

For example I've seen stocking rates on a new tank should increase but not enough to overload the bb (ignoring cichlids and stock timing for semi-aggressive fish for the moment). What does that mean though. e.g. So if the bb can basically double in 24hrs, does that mean max. increase to a stocked tank would be double the fish weight in 24hrs? So I could start with one fish and be fully stocked in a week - this doesn't seem right.

The idea is to grow and establish enough bacteria in the fishless cycle so that when you add your potentially expensive stock the ammonia your loverly new fish are producing doesn't exceed that of the ammonia the bacteria has grown on, therefore no excess ammonia is in the water harming your fish because its being used by the excess bacteria you grew in your fishless cycle.

Another question that seems pertinent, but has been skimmed over is what is the consequences of building up too much BB during the fishless cycle?

I believe BB that does no get enough ammonia, doesn't die, but goes dormant, and can revive again. In that scenario, starved BB isn't necessarily such a bad thing, and it doesn't really matter if you build up more BB than you need.

But apparently, dormant BB is much more vulnerable to being preyed upon by heterotrophic bacteria - and that sounds like a bad thing.

I'm curious exactly how this process works. When BB goes dormant in response to lack of food, are the dormant BB areas spread throughout the filter, or only along the inside edges where less ammonia would reach? Would you get a situation where there are pockets of dormant and vulnerable BB, attacked by heterotropic bacteria? Would the presence of dormant BB make it easier for heterotrophic bacteria -- which after all, compete for oxygen -- to take over the filter and smother non-dormant BB?

Or is it just a case that normal filter maintenance - swirling it in old tank water once a week - would get rid of the heterotrophs and save the dormant BB?

Why I'm asking this, is because this is the only negative I can see to building up too much BB for your tank's bio load.

The bacteria that isn't needed will eventually die off yes, this ISNT a problems in anyway. They themselves would die, become an ammonia source and would be readily absorbed by another grabbing for nutrients. When one dies it feeds another until equilibrium is established.

Last edited:
Hi, in a sense I do monitor this if the fish are gasping at surface. However I'm reacting to any problems, it would be better if I had an O2 monitor and a bottle set to go before the problem arose ie a prevention system. IMO the fish-less cycling is same issue, the bb is established to prevent any problems. I've also seen articles that wonder if the dosing to 4ppm creates a larger than needed bb population but I guess it should be bullet proof. It would be interesting to know of any issues a too large bb population may create - to date I haven't seen anything on this. Interesting topic.

No there are not, as pointed out, the excess bacteria die off and are broken down by other bacteria.

The topic of this forum, is Aquarium Advise, and although I see many varied topics relating to all facets of fish keeping, I think one of the most talked about is the cycle . . . I think a topic titled like this is confusing to prospective new fish keepers or people who never really join the forum and just read, although it may be intended for conversation, some might think, hey, this guy seems to know what he's talking about because he uses a "high quality scientific test kit". "I don't need to cycle my tank". The fact is, regardless of fishin or fishless cycle, it is proven, that it's necessary, to introduce fish the safest and with the least amount of stress.

Indeed the title of this site is Aquarium Advice, and our site contains fish-keepers of all levels. How are we, as more experienced fish-keepers, to grow and learn if we don't discuss topics that might be confusing to new fish-keepers? If all this site is about is talking about things that new fish-keepers need to know, then experienced fish keepers will eventually tire of it, and move on to sites were more stimulating topics than how to properly cycle a tank are being discussed. Personally, I haven't cycled a tank in years, not since I set up my personal saltwater tank at home. I incorporate an established bacteria colony and move on to the exciting part of keeping an aquarium.

I'm not over-thinking, just trying to apply what I know and have experienced with the nitrogen cycle - too few fishkeepers don't think enough about this subject, hence many, many misunderstandings about 'cycling' a tank. This industry is based on lack of knowledge, hard as that is to take. Fish die through a lack of understanding and more are supplied!

You say that once nitrite goes to 0 and nitrates appear, you can add fish. How many fish? What if those fish aren't producing 4ppm ammonia with the same regularity with which you were adding it manually?

What happens is, the BB die off through lack of food and numbers of BB are reduced to cope with just the ammonia excreted by the fish. A large die-off of bacteria in the filter can cause anaerobic conditions where de-nitrification takes place and nitrite is converted back to ammoniacal nitrogen.

Of course you can do a fish-in cycle and be humane - mother nature does it all the time and aquarists have been doing it for decades. It is a gradual process. Adding one or two fish to a large aquarium and feeding small but regular amounts whilst adding a supply of BB (be it from a bottle or seeded from an established filter), will allow a naturally gradual increase in nitrifying bilogical organisms.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of this statement. Bacteria dying off doesn't create anaerobic conditions. Anaerobic conditions are created by the environment.

Bottom line, Why bother with a cycle at all? I'm sure you and a number of others are well aware that there are plenty of ways to establish a viable bacteria population in a tank in two minutes, without going through the hassel of fish-in or fish-less cycling and without paying money for "bacteria in a bottle" regardless of how reliable or unreliable that product may be. I set up a brand new ten gallon aquarium just this past weekend and stocked it with 10 celebs rainbows. "Gasp!" It took all of 20 minutes, and there are no issues with ammonia or nitrites.

How did I accomplish this magical feat you may ask? Simple, I had the resources I need available and ready to go. I've had a extra sponge and biomedia bag running in one of my filters on a larger tank for several months. I simply removed them, rinsed them out in RO water, stuck them back into their own filter casing and placed the filter on the new aquarium. Even if you don't have this preset and ready to go, simply taking a dirty established sponge, rinsing it out in RO water and then using a new sponge to soak up the rinsed out grunge is going to give you a good sized population of viable bacteria. Open up your media bag and remove a portion of the "seeded media", place it into the new media bag and place unseeded media back into the the original bag. There is no great mystery or secret here, people have been it for years. It is a matter of knowing what you are doing.

And to the subject of oxygen, nitrification is also reliant on the correct amount of available oxygen - the closer the oxygen level is to 100%, the more efficient the bacteria will be in converting nitrogen.

I know of state run fish farms raising trout that are using methods to remove excess oxygen levels from the water, as too high of a oxygen level has been linked to fish deformities and is considered a pollutant. A 100% dissolved oxygen seems like a very high number to me.

I have questioned how the bacteria lives in the bottles myself to be honest and I am going to contradict some of my own comments by saying this, because I have said that if there is not enough ammonia to support a population of BB, then some will die off until a population is established to cope with the ammonia that is present. The fact is, many bacteria will go into a kind of dormancy for a certain length of time, before actually dying off, or 're-animating if ammonia becomes available again. I would suggest that the bottled BB has had the environment manipulated so it remains viable for longer periods - I will be attempting to research this in the near future, although I'm not sure manafacturers are going to be very forthcoming with their methods!

I doubt that environment has anything to do with it, and the most likely answer is it doesn't. Some types are capable of forming endospores (essentially a "seed" condition) when environmental conditions become unfavorable and are able to survive very long periods in this state. When they are then exposed to favorable environmental conditions, they become viable again. This is how bacteria has survived traveling to the moon and back on space ships, and I would guess that this is also the state of the bacteria in a bottle or plastic bag. A sealed bottle or plastic bag is going to create an anaerobic condition in a relatively short amount of time, the only logical explaination is that those bacteria have the ability to form the endospore and do so once the oxygen is consumed. Once you open the bag/bottle and introduced them to a favorable environment they become viable again and start reproducing.

The problem I see with dosing 4ppm ammonia straight of the bat during a fish less cycle is bb competition. By the time heterotrophic bacteria has colonised x amount of surface area, ammonia nitrifying bacteria will start to feed and grow and colonise a surface area equal to 4ppm of ammonia. Does this leave enough surface area for nitrobacter? We know they are slow reproducers as it. Is this the reason why countless people claim that their cycle has 'stalled' and nitrites go through the roof ?

It is an interesting thought, but given that you can fit millions of bacteria on a space as small as the head of a pin, I doubt that in today's typical aquarium with are fancy manmade biomedia that this is ever an issue.

Actually this particular topic has been the subject of discussion on this site numerous times. The simple truth is that each of these types of cycling has its purpose, and both work equally well for what people are trying to do in this hobby. Just as with many areas of aquarium keeping, there are lots of different ways that things can be done, and all of them work equally well. Its one of the reasons that a "my way or the highway" mentality doesn't get you very far in this hobby. In fact it was a debate somewhat similar to this that sparked Jeta to write his article/thread on fish-in cycling that he titled "Come to the Dark Side . . ." People need to choose a method that works for them and with which they personally are comfortable. Bottom line is, if you are going to successfully keep an aquarium of any sort, you have to have an established bacteria population. How you choose to get there, is really a matter of personal opinion.

Back
Top Bottom